betta with dropsy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jsoong

Aquarium Advice Addict
My daughter came & got me tonight in a panic because her betta is looking funny .... well, it looks like classical dropsy, and apparently its been like that for 2 days.

Background - male betta (1 year old), in a 5 gal eclipse at 80F, with a single Oto. My daughter is supposed to do 25% weekly pwc, but I think she had been missing some weeks. There was a pwc Sunday, and NH3/NO2 are still 0.

The betta is still active & eating, but definitely has swollen belly & raised scales. The Oto appears healthy & active, with a nice fat belly.

I know dropsy is bad news, but since the fish is still looking pretty good, I am going to give it the old college try and start epsoms salt. Maybe I'll try some peas tomorrow just in case it is simple bloat. I am not holding out much hope. :cry:

My daughter, however, would like a second opinion from the the experts here. If anyone has a success story & advice, it would be appreciated.

A question I have: Should I leave the Oto in the tank during treatment (just in case this is contagious)?

TIA.

I noticed my betta had the signs of drospy last night..granted he has been sick for quite some time but today when I cam ehome he was dead....I think everything finally caught up to him but once I noticed the raised scales he was dead within a day..hopefully you have caught it quick enough and your betta seems a bit healthier to start with

Back
Top Bottom