Betta with eye issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ahisma

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had this betta since mid July. A few days after I got him I noticed his left eye was swelling, turning milky and had a discharge. I'm still not sure if the cause was an injury or if it was poor water quality in the cup. I changed his water every other day, but to do so, I put him in his cup from the store. He did freak out the first time and could have bumped his eye on the plastic air hole protrusion.

I used two rounds of kanaplex, following the directions. At this time he was kept in a heated 5 gallon bucket with no filter. I changed the water every 2-3 days and his eye cleared up. He was then added to a 20 gallon long with 6 cories and 8 yellow phantom tetras.

In this tank, I have an Aqueon hob filter. I think it's a 10? Or 100? It is in my profile... It's rated for a 20 gallon anyhow, and I have a small wonder sponge filter as well.

The tank has been cycled since February, but it was changed from goldfish to these tropical fish in june to July.

I change the water every other week about 15%. The parameters are perfect now. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and very low nitrates. My ph has been 7.6 all along.

I had ammonia in my tap water in early September. It lasted for a week or so. I did a water change and used ammo lock. Luckily it disappeared. It was testing at about .5 ppm.

Now in the last week, the Betta's eyes are changing. I look closely at him regularly to monitor any changes... The blue part that is under the lens is getting larger and it looks like he is having a harder time seeing because this is blocking his pupil.

I need to post a photo of before and after. I've got a before from a month ago... I'll post a pic of him tomorrow for comparison.

I looked at other Bettas in the store and they don't have this enlarged iris (or whatever part of his eye it is).

Any ideas what this could be? Should I treat him for pop eye again?

image-3840005055.jpg

Here is a before photo. This was taken in September. He was treated in early August for pop eye in one eye. It had cleared up.

image-3366773554.jpg

image-3225713784.jpg

image-1202843420.jpg

image-842006823.jpg

These are photos of his eyes now. They aren't that great, but perhaps someone can tell me if they look like pop eye is starting and whether or not I should medicate him now. The last photo is the before photo.

The major difference is that they look larger and there is a lot of blue in them, when they were mostly black before.

Back
Top Bottom