Betta with fin rot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maxkolbe

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Got my beta, Spot, a while back and recently his mild case of fin rot has grown worse. He is acting normally but I am considering moving him to his own 5gal for treatment. This would make PWC easier and I could use salt without hurting my plants. A few questions.

How much salt is safe for betas? A remember someone saying that betas are sensitive to salt. How much would be safe

I also had a question regarding mystery snails/assassin snails. If I have an open top 10 gallon aquarium would they crawl out? Thanks

Thanks for the help in advance. :)

Maxkolbe said:
Got my beta, Spot, a while back and recently his mild case of fin rot has grown worse. He is acting normally but I am considering moving him to his own 5gal for treatment. This would make PWC easier and I could use salt without hurting my plants. A few questions.

How much salt is safe for betas? A remember someone saying that betas are sensitive to salt. How much would be safe

I also had a question regarding mystery snails/assassin snails. If I have an open top 10 gallon aquarium would they crawl out? Thanks

Thanks for the help in advance. :)

When I use Aq salt I go by the instructions, 1/2 tsp per 1 gallon if I remember correctly. Are you sure he has fin rot & not damage from the filter or tank mates? And yes the snails have a high possibility of getting out, I had 2 of 4 mystery snails decide to escape & all were from different tanks; one of which had a very small opening to escape from. My surviving Mystery from those 4 has never attempted it so I assume he is quite content.

Tanks for responding. I am fairly certain it is fin rot because their is nothing sharp in the tank and he has peaceful tank mates.

Maxkolbe said:
Tanks for responding. I am fairly certain it is fin rot because their is nothing sharp in the tank and he has peaceful tank mates.

What is your normal water change schedule & how much? Size of tank? Is it heated? Have you tested your water recently? Fin rot is typically from poor water quality so it seems odd he'd have fin rot if you're doing regular water changes. As for the salt, the recommendation is to not use it for more than 10 days.

10 gallon heated tank. Hob filter with a baffle. Tankmates are 8 ember tetrAs and I try to do PWC bi weekly though I sometimes slack because of school. I usually make it up though the next week. About 50% at a time

Maxkolbe said:
10 gallon heated tank. Hob filter with a baffle. Tankmates are 8 ember tetrAs and I try to do PWC bi weekly though I sometimes slack because of school. I usually make it up though the next week. About 50% at a time

That could be part of the problem. Do you have the snails in the same tank? They are big waste producers, at least mine are, i don't have tetras so can't speak on thoose. Most fish keepers do at least weekly 50% water changes. I have 2 10g tanks & a 46g, I do weekly 50%+ water changes. If you up your water changes his fin rot should heal up without adding salt. Have you tested your water for ammonia, nitrites & nitrates? That can also play a factor.

One of the tetras might have turned aggressive and started nipping his fins. Even the most peaceful kinds of fish have the occasional fin nipper. Watch the tetras closely and if you spot any bullying just remove the nipper and the betta will regrow his fins.

I should of clarified. I was thinking about getting a snail, the only ones in the tank are some rams horns that hitchhiker in. I'm thinking it's fin rot because a hole has developed in the middleof the fin and if it was nipping I'd think it would be on the outside. The tetras have never shown any signs of aggression to my knowledge and they get along really well. I'm on break right now so I'll do some extra PWCs and hope it gets better. Thanks

Okay that sounds like fin rot. I agree, aquarium salt and good water quality should fix it up. If it gets really bad you can try medicine.

I would move him into a hospital tank so the illness doesn't affect your other fish. I'm not sure if fin rot is contagious or not but if it was me I would just to be safe.

I don't think it is. He's had a mild case for awhile and it hasn't affected e tetras. Thanks for you help. He's a really neat fish and I'm really hoping he gets better. I may wait to put him in the hospital tank as it will not be cycled and we will be out of town for a few days for thanksgiving.

You can instantly cycle a hospital tank by running the hospital tank filter in your main tank for a few days and then putting it back.

Thanks. I could run it in my 60 gallon while I'm gone and then have it ready when we get back. Good idea. :)

Back
Top Bottom