Betta with fin rot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abbyn

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I have recently concluded that my Betta has finrot. He is a male half moon I believe and I have had him for a couple months. When I got him there was one spot on his fin that looked torn and I assumed that he had injured himself and that it would get better over time but it hasn't it also hasn't gotten worse. I don't know weather or not that has anything to do with the fin rot. It's been hard to tell but I've definitely confirmed that the ends of his tail have gotten progressively more frayed and ripped. I don't think I have anything in the tank that could be ripping his fins(live plants and a smooth rock) the only thing I can think of is a price of plastic that I'm using to reduce the flow on the filter.

So I have gotten opinions from many articles and people and I'm getting very confused as to how to treat this. I just bought a thing of bettafix and I was planning on floating him in a smaller container on the surface of the current tank(a ten gallon) and filling it with cleaner water and treating him in there where it would be easier to treat and clean.i have heard that Bettafix will kill the plants which is not ideal but by treating him in a smaller container could the rest of the tank still be infected? Also please tell me if this is a horrible idea.

I will get pictures and water parameters when I get home. Thank you so much in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Here are the water parameters ammonia 0.25-0.5 ppm(working on lowering that right now) pH 7.6 (as I understand that is above what they prefer but it is best not to try and change the pH quickly) nitrite 0 ppm nitrate 10 ppm

Here are the photos it is his top and bottom find where there are issues ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1473394610.474842.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1473394629.239281.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1473394655.206115.jpg

Okay another update sorry I have him floating in a Tupperware at the top that is about 1/3 gallons :((( I'm kind of worried about the Tupperware bc it is just something I got from the kitchen. It has been washed with soap and has had food in it. I washed it as best as I could with very very hot water and a clean sponge I hope that's enough?? I'm treating him with betta fix and he could be in there for up to a week unfortunately. I plan on testing the water everyday and trying to get the ammonia levels down. If anyone has an opinion as to how I'm dealing with this I would love to hear it.

I would keep him in his own tank and do lot's off pwc, clean water is the key to his fins growing back. I had a betta that had really messed up fins and just kept changing the water. Keep the ammonia down like your doing and he'll be fine ☺

70 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon boraras , red longfin bristlenose, bamboo shrimp, crs,rcs and different snails.
7 gallon halfmoon betta and red ramshorn.

What other fish are in this tank?

30 gallon boraras , red longfin bristlenose, bamboo shrimp, crs,rcs and different snails.

No other fish just a snail. Do you think I should keep treating him in the smaller container?

I would put him in his own tank and do lot's off pwc, clean water will help his fins grow back. How warm is his tank?

He was in his own tank already, the reason I put him in the smaller container at the top is because the medicine would kill the plants and because it would take like ten bottles of the medication to do the treatment for the ten gallon. The water is 78 degrees Fahrenheit

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Do you think j should skip the betts fix altogether ?

Yes, just put him into his own tank and do daily pwc with treated water, your temp is fine. Clean water is the key ☺

Okay thank you

No problem :) hope he gets better soon.

Sorry one more question. He is back in the main tank. I've got the ammonia down to zero. I've heard people say that aquarium salt can help. Any opinions on that?

Some people use salt for healing but I just went for heat and daily changes ☺

Back
Top Bottom