Betta with frayed fins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Knave

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just like the title says

He's my lil baby and I'm wondering what would be the best course of action. Been reading that aquarium salt will do the trick.

He's in a filtered, heated10g with 3 neons and an albino pleco. Fake plants.

The pleco (Parthy) and the 3 neons are all fine.

The betta (Alduin) is the only one with frayed fins.

I have no one to blame but myself for this, really slacked it on the cleanin. Life got hectic, like always -_-;

So, any suggestions?

Any help would be welcomed! Thank you!

You answered your own question...keep the tank extra clean to help cut down on infectious agents. Salt helps build up his electrolytes so it won't hurt. Also are the neons nipping his fins? He might need his own tank. And keep an eye out for fin rot or other possible types of infections whereas you might have to use medications.

Melafix is great at repairing frayed fins about 8pound a bottle. Look it up its a completely natural treatment. Think it actually treats finrot but cant remember. GoodLuck and keep up with weekly cleaning and water changes

Weekly water changes and dimes melafix in a light dosage will do the trick. Or a broad spectrum antibiotic

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My opinion as a person who keeps bettas from Thailand and even petco is to put him in his own tank for now. Change water daily and add Indian Almond leaves. Betta breeders swear by them. They add tannins and supposedly have antibacterial properties. This is not scientifically proven but I have only had good results with them.

On a side note, you betta could be nipping his own fins, have fin rot or the other fish have gotten to him- all reasons he should be on his own so you can get a handle on the situation easier. clean water daily will do wonders.
Also I don't recommend a pleco in a 10g, unless you plan on upgrading soon as they get kinda large for a 10g.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom