Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-29-2004, 11:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Betta with Fungus????

Hello! I am normally posting over in the saltwater area, however I have a problem with my Betta. I just have a normal small little plastic tank with gravel that "Chumley" has been in for about 2 or 3 years. He has always done really well making his bubble nets and happily eating his pellets. However, today I noticed that he wasn't being very active and didn't want to eat anything. Also, I noticed a white fuzz on his head, eyes, and body. Does this sound like fungus? I read that it could be treated with Jungle Fungus Eliminator. Is this a good product?

Thanks so much for your help!

In its great blue whales, hunted even to
between houses, an entire people was
dreaming of a less silent light.
BlueDolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 11:59 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Hi Kristen,
Bacterial infections are usually more common than fungal infections, and the white fuzz usually means a bacterial infection. But I have used the Jungle Fungus Eliminator and it has always worked wonders. It says it's for bacterial or fungal infections. I use it in a QT bowl (so I don't hurt the main tank's good bacteria), and use 1/4 teaspoon per gallon.

How big is the tank? How often do you do water changes? Do you check the parameters weekly? Rising ammonia or nitrite levels can cause stress too (you probably know this already!) Some bettas do well in small tanks. But there are better ways to keep a betta. I have found that temperature fluctuations can cause a lot of disease. These are just some things to look at, to see why this problem started. Or, if he's 3 years old, he may be getting old and not resistant to changing conditions anymore.

I would try the Jungle Fungus Eliminator. Good luck!

An t-iasg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, fungus

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com