Betta with fungus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

laurieb

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi folks,
I have a crowntail betta who has fungus on his fins. I have been doing daily pwc's and vaccing for about 2 weeks now hoping it would clear up but it has not so I need some advice on how to treat him.
Here is some detail.
10 gal tank, running for a year and a half, no new fish.

Marineland biowheel 100 filter

Was doing weekly water changes of 50% using prime. I slacked on vaccing and I think that's what caused this. Have been doing daily 25% changes for about 2 weeks now.

1 crowntail betta, 6 neon tetras, 2 juli cories

The whole thing started with a few of the neons having some white on their eyes and then Frank the betta started with the white fluffy fins on his fins and tail which has progressed to eating away some of his fins.

Here is a pic if the fungus on Frank. Sorry it's not that great.

So should I treat the whole tank and if so with what? I have concerns about treating the whole thing with the juli's in there since they are fine and I have read that they won't tolerate certain meds.

Or should I move Frank to a hospital environment and treat him, if so with what? I have concerns about the added stress of moving him.

I have melafix, sea salt, erythromicin, and some metro meds that I used for a sick goldfish. These are tiny pellets. I can run out and get something else as well.

Thanks for you advice guys!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1395408499135.jpg
    1395408499135.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 59
I have to add that the pic was a few days ago and he has lost some finnage since this pic and has some more fungus in spots.

I went ahead and bought another tank and some jungle fungus clear and put Frank the betta in there. Hopefully he will get better soon.

We just found out last night that our betta, Stormy, has either/or both fungus and fin rot on his back fin and seen some white on both sides of his face last night. First, I done a 25% W/C w/Prime and vacuumed some of the gravel. Also noticed that one of our larger Ghost Shrimp chased after him when I gave him a pellet.........second time this happened. Wife insisted on taking that shrimp out, so I did. Anyway, rushed to Wal Mart and bought Jungle Lifeguard All-In-One Treatment for ick and fungus. This product had "highly recommend" reviews on it. Also bought some Aquarium Salt, but didn't use it. Per instructions on the Treatment box, took out the carbon cartridge and dropped a tablet in. Will do this each night x 5, then wait 24 hrs and do 25% W/C as instructions state. Will put a new carbon cartridge in also after treatment done.
My wife was pretty upset last night and even cried! She has calmed down since.
This AM, the white spots on both sides of his face are gone and he sure DIDN'T lose his appetite! I watched him eat 4 Omega One Buffet pellets this AM.
Also, took out an artificial plant that had black spots on some of the leaves. Will replace with another live plant when treatment is done.

Well, our betta, Stormy, has fungus/fin rot again!

His dorsal fin is blue, but there is definitely some white in it and it looks sort of twisted and some white in his tail fin as well. Fungus or fin rot, don't know, but are going to do the entire Jungle Lifeguard treatment to him and the aquarium again. He ate three pellets this morning, but pretty much stays floating at the surface in the back of the tank. Obviously we can see some debris floating around in the tank due to no carbon cartridge filter in the tank right now.........during treatment. This treatment worked perfect last time, but I'm not sure about this time. Will just have to "wait and see".

Heck, we've only had him since Feb 16th of this year and already have had to bouts with fungus/tail rot. Wonder what gives there
huh.gif
?
But, then again, we are Beginners since this is our first aquarium/fish.

What I'm also wondering is why NOBODY gave a comments to the OP about her problem about fungus/fin rot??????

Back
Top Bottom