Betta with popeye

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NatureGirl

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently started a female betta sorority in my 26 gal. tank, and one of my bettas (Skeye) has developed cloudy, protruding eyes.

Some important background: the tank is fully cycled and has about 5-10 ppm nitrates, which I'm fine with because it's heavily planted. The aquarium recently came down with a mild case of ick, and it shouldn't be long before I can stop treating with salt and warm water. There are five bettas in the sorority, and Skeye is the only one with long fins. Aforementioned fins have been getting damaged at night lately, and that, with lethargy and cloudy eyes, convinced me it was best to move her into my 10 gal. quarantine tank even though it would upset the balance and pecking order of my 26 gal.

I dosed the 10 gal. with melafix and pimafix (I am aware of the controversy surrounding bettas and both these medications; but I have researched it and am using a smaller dosage than recommended. And of course I'm watching Skeye with a hawk's eye for any adverse effects.)

One day later, I can't tell if she's better or worse. I've read that it can take a while for the eyes to return to normal... She's eating as well as possible with her sight limitations, but she's still not as active as I'd like to see. What I'm wondering is if Melafix and Pimafix are even acceptable remedies for popeye (I'm also using it to help her fins regrow and stay free of rot/treat anything else that might be ailing her) and what could have caused the popeye in the first place since it certainly wasn't water quality and I doubt it was externally damage since both her eyes are affected.

Mela and pima are fine with betta fish (or at least no more dangerous versus use in other fish) but should be well mixed in tank water and never over dose ime. It's possible they have improved the product since some issues were noted (at the end of the day these are still meds walking a fine line between killing the infection and not killing the fish so to speak).

I find useful for low level infections, after that onto antibiotics. I do find bacterial infections more possible when tank temp changes.

Created new post because betta condition has worsened, if anyone reading this wishes to reply, please do so in "Need help! Betta fish still sick!" so that things don't get confusing. Thank you :)

Back
Top Bottom