Betta's not acting normal! Please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

William

Aquarium Advice Addict
My Red Female betta has been acting strange this morning, shes been floating at the top of the tank, and when she tries to swim.. She half-comes out of the water... Like a boat that reaches speed, you know? Hydroplaning..

Please, How can I help her? I just lost a betta, I can't loose another one right now..

Perhaps..its a swim bladder problem?

I really don't know, I'm kind of shaken right now because I can't loose her..

Sorry William. :(

I can't say I've ever even heard of that particular ill before, so I can't tell you what happened. Was this in the same tank that you briefly put the other one before it died..?

Yes, it was.. but the cause of death wasn't the same.. tho no doubt related in some other way..

William, I am so sorry to hear that!
You need to figure out what is going on in that tank. How are the other fish looking? Were there any physical changes in the fish that died aside from the swimming disorder? Color change? Fin damage? Anything?

The cause of the infection, the new fish, had some kind of cotton thread fungus that made her look like she was covered in short, white, straight hairs.

The red betta died from some kind of swim bladder infection, because she was having trouble staying upright and could not go down from the surface of the water.

This one, my last girl in this tank, has some kind of peeling around her mouth.

The other fish in the tank are just fine, The Banjo and 2 ottos are as healthy as ever. I'n thinking its something that affects bettas only, or affects betta's worse then other fish, because of the malicious nature of this....whatever it is, and how fast its acting.

I just hope my little Bluebell will be alive in the morning..

William, I'm so sorry :cry:

My bettas have never had anything like you describe (short white hairs) but when my bettas have had some white cottony growth, I used Jungle Fungus Eliminator. It comes in a jar and it's a yellow powder. It says on the jar that it treats bacterial and fungal infections. It worked very well.

Oh! I am soo very sorry!

Fish Herpes? (I am not as up on many diseases..there are soo many more now)
It wouldnt respond to a common treatment I bet.

My lfs had fish looking like they were wearing angora sweaters (thready hairy mold like scum spots) at one point of the week,
It a month back, I almost got wild Rams?Loaches and wild rams all in one tank. The loaches were milling around at speed when not bunched in one corner, and looked like the worst case of ick Plus!

He said it was fish herpes.
He was expecting regression of syptoms by the week's end..
Only like 6 in loaches made it. I am glad I didn't let Anna buy a pair.

Though Melafix symptoms sound like that too...sudden surface gasping followed by death with gills flared open. :(
Melafix only does in a percentage of labyrinths (which is why betafix was formulated, not that it isn't mistrusted by some).

She just lost so many betta to a tough bout of sudden diseases nearly beat that got latched with a tough bacterial. And they didn't all share tanks only the room wall.(see caring vet thread and to the vet we go thread). With fish it is just so easy to miss that one important symptom that IDs the cause.... they are not as up in your face or similar enough in basics to guess like pet mammals.. :(
Poor finny friends! :cry:

It does sound like your disease carrier, the new fish, had muti-infectives like our poor fish

That Cotton wool disease I mentioned also attacks the mouth. Mouth, body and fins. I can't tell you if that is the problem, but I think it's worth digging into. I am very sorry about this second girl.

Back
Top Bottom