Betta's Weird Behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MurderComplication

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi;

I purchased my male Beta just over a month ago with a ghost shrimp and a zebra snail. The tank is either five or ten gallon, I believe ten though. It was a small filter and a heater keeping the tank at the right temp and my parameters are perfect.

For the past four days he's been hiding his head under the little gap beneath the filter, laying beside it or at the top of the tank not moving. Other than his behavior, he seems fine.

You'll need to be a little more detailed . . . is the tank 5g or 10g, if you can give the tank dimensions that'd help. What are your exact water parameters & are you using a liquid test kit or strips? What is your water change schedule? What is the perfect temp, 78-80F? Sorry, just want to make sure your perfect is the same as what others consider perfect. Is he eating? Has his color paled?

It's a ten gallon for sure, too big for a 5g.
Nirate 0.3ppm
Nitrite, Ammonia are 0
Ph is 7
Temp is 79
I water change 10% ever five days and 30% every three weeks and vacuum the tank on each of those occasions.
He ate yesterday morning, then picked at his food in the evening. And hasn't touched it yet. He's normally stealing my shrimp's food. His colour is still the same deep red with violet tips on his fins.
I just did a 30% on Sunday as well.

It's a ten gallon for sure, too big for a 5g.
Nirate, Nitrate, Ammonia are all 0
Ph is 7
Temp is 79
I water change 10% ever five days and 30% every three weeks and vacuum the tank on each of those occasions.
He ate yesterday morning, then picked at his food in the evening. And hasn't touched it yet. He's normally stealing my shrimp's food. His colour is still the same deep red with violet tips on his fins.
I just did a 30% on Sunday as well.

All 0's isn't perfect. It means your tank isn't cycled. Have you been changing filter cartridges? Are you using water conditioner? Are you using strips or a liquid test kit? Are you using any other chemicals or products? You'll probably need bigger water changes. Those small ones aren't gonna do a whole lot for your water. This behavior is odd, but lets start with the water issue and go from there.

I edited it cuz I mixed it up - and its 0.03ppm, not 0.3ppm. I changed my filter cartage on the 2nd, I use a dechorlinator (Nutrafin Betta+) and Flourish Excel by Seachem for my plants. I just did a 40-50% water change and he's at the top now where my filter/areator pumps the bubbles out.

I use a liquid test kit.

Your water parameters are good 0 ammonia / nitrItes, low nitrAtes even though you changed out your filter cartridge. I quit using the filter cartridges because they fall apart way too fast for my liking, I now just use sponge. Your Bettas behavior doesn't make sense to me. One of my males is not very active , never has been & tends to hang out in one spot BUT he still eats like a pig. Have you been able to see his poo? Does his belly look bloated? Would you be able to QT him into something smaller for observation & treatment if needed?

I use the elite mini for this tank and it's just a small porous sponge for the filter cartage. He normally chases after my Shrimp to get his food. He would build a new bubble nest in different spots of the tank too. I'll fast him for a day or two in case it is Bloat since he's been moving between my two plants now. He's just laying on them like he's using a 'Betta Leaf'. I only have a tall round water bottle I use to keep top off water in that I could put him in.

I can't seem to find any of his waste.

This morning my Betta, was swimming around normally, but I noticed his gill on one side was slightly disscoloured. It was paler than the red and blue undertones on his left gill.

A picture would really help.

Did you cycle the tank before adding him? What kind of liquid test kit are you using?

Another, did he eat those peas?

Okay the pea should be cooked in the tank water, or de chlorinated water at least. Use frozen get the plain no salt or sauce type for cheapcheap. Cut it as small as possible with a sharp knife. My Betta was so small he ate 1/16th of a pea only. I used a sushi knife. Smush if u must, no chunks.

I suggest very frequent water changes and temp adjusted warm water with very gentle transitions each WC to keep it mellow. I keep my hospital tank in the quietest part if my home, no noise or temperature fluctuations.

How about a little aquarium salt or salt Kosher or sea salt with NO additives. Especially not Iodine! I would start with 1/4 tsp per gallon, mix enough for a whole tank then add a little of the concentrate 3x per day for a few days.

for example take a liter/quart water bottle .25 tsp x 10 = 2.5 tsp salt

Add salt to bottle fill with warm water and treat with water treatment/dechlorinator drops and dissolve salt in the in the water. At a few ounces three times a day for 2-3 days.

In the future add and dissolve 1/4 tsp p/gallon to any water you use to refill after you do a pwc. Not for topping off, you add fresh water as the salt is still in the tank after evaporation.

Are you using dechlorinator for adding water?

I pree much diced the pea - but he swam up and smelled it, then swam away. I left it in there for about an hour and it still wasn't eaten. I fed my shrimp and he stole it's food again so I think he's feeling better. Except now he's at the base of the plant laying on the bottom with his head in the plant. He's been hiding in that thing for most of today so I haven't been able to get a picture.

Salt's okay for both the Betta, shrimp and zebra snail?
I use dechorlinator whenever I add water to the tank. I have my top off water mixed with dechorlinator already in a broken water bottle.
I live in a dorm, and unfortunately my floor's known as the 'party floor', so it can get pree noisy on weekends (mainly at the end of the hall though.)

They all will be fine with that amount of salt. Personally I have kept Betta and Ghost shrimp in 1 teaspoon per gallon, the Zebra snail, if it is a Nerite "Zebra", can live in brackish water and I have had mine in a 1 TBL/gallon.

you can cross check this info. The addition of salt can help with gill function and also to promote a good slime coat. This is a smallish amount compared to the 1 tsp p/gal you could increase it to over time and depending what ever else his illness is.

Back
Top Bottom