Betty is doing so much better, but then I found this.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tank120

Aquarium Advice Freak
I don't want to stress her out and treat for something that I am not sure about. It doesn't look exactly like Ich or fungus to me, but I am no expert. There is the larger one and two small ones. There are no other marks on her body.

She has just started eating daphnia and 1 pellet soaked in garlic. She is happily swimming around the tank. If I move her to a quarantine tank it is going to stress her out as would any chemical additions. I will gladly do salt baths but this would also cause stress. What do you think it is and what do you think I should do???

Attachments

• Betty 2014 (7) copy.jpg
    Betty 2014 (7) copy.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 125
The closer I look at it, the more it looks like a couple of spots of Ich. I know it is hard to tell much from the picture. I have a new heater coming in a couple of days. So I can't raise the temp until then. Right now temp is reading 68°. I can't salt treat the entire tank because I have many corys and two bristle nose Plecos in there. I did a 75% water change today

Sent from my HTC first using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Are the cories and plecos new? Or just the plecos? Did you qt them? The picture you have posted does not look like ich- its too large. Have new spots developed since you took this or is it still the same spots?

The corys have been in the tank a long time. The Plecos were new. I put them in the tank because it is not guaranteed that Prazipro won't kill scaless fish. I treated the entire tank the first time because Pong had black spots that were thought to be parasitic in nature. I lost a few corys from that addition. This time, eberyone but the Plecos went into quarantine so they could go through treatments. I just keep looking at those spots and wondering if they were a defect in the fin that I hadn't noticed before. I have looked at every goldfish disease site on the internet and can't find anything that describes them.

She has just gotten to the point where she is healthy looking. She swims around the tank all of the time and never lays on the bottom. She is refusing to eat anything but daphnia soaked in garlic, but at least she is eating.

I have spirulina fed brine shrimp coming today and hope that she will eat it to get some veggies in. She won't eat her peas, which she used to love.

Oh, as of this morning, no new spots. I am watching her closely.

Just keep an eye on her. If its just those two spots, they are honestly not concerning and they are too big to be ich. One of my girls has similar spots on her tail and she has had them for as long as I can remember. She has a white tail as well so my guess is it's something more common to this color (none of darker or black fish have ever had these). I am glad she is starting eat! Keep offering meals whenever possible. :)

Betty looks fine. She is healthy....no signs of Ich or other disease, swimming normally and no clamped fins. She always acts happy to see me.

These are the odd things that are going on; when I moved her from quarantine back to the 120 gallon, I knew she would be stressed for a few days. I noticed a couple of days after I moved her that she always had a certain area she swam in and would go no further. It was mid-column and about 1-1/2 feet wide. A few weeks later, I took all of the decorations out of the tank and did a through gravel cleaning. When I put the decorations back In the tank I rearranged them and left a few out to give them more room to swim. After that, she moved her swimming area to the middle of the tank. She always lays at the bottom at night with the other fish to rest but during the day will NEVER pick at the rocks, doesn't want to and will not go down that far.

Betty will not eat the foods that she used to love. She completely ignores them. I know that she is eating though, because she has been back in the tank several weeks now and would no longer be with us if she were eating nothing. I watch closely. I think that she may be eating some of the daphnia and some of the brine shrimp and spirulina from the FreshWater Frenzy frozen food that I feed them. Also, when I give them broccoli, small pieces of bud will break off and float around the tank and it looks like, possibly, she is also eating some of those. She is probably very tired of me staring at her all of the time. However, I find my self overfeeding the tank to try to get her to eat normally again, which of course, is throwing my water parameters totally off, which has to be stressing her too. Although, all the fish are happy after a water change. They seem to dance for joy. I am having to test the water everyday and change at least 20 gallons and yesterday had to do a 50%.

Like I said, no signs of disease. The small black spot that felt like a scab is still on her right side. She was treated for parasites when it became noticeable, which was about the same time I found the ulcers. They ulcers were treated with 2 antibiotic injections and they disappeared within a week, No new spots appeared. It has become no larger and no smaller. No other signs of disease......no clamped fins, swimming happily in her area, enjoying her fish pals (she seems to like the company after being in quarantine so long), no Ich, swim bladder problems or anything else that I can see. I can't even say that she acts depressed.

In the past few days, she has been venturing a little farther down and to the sides and a little lower and higher, but still not down far enough. She still will not pick at the rocks. I don't know what to do with her at this point. She is not skinny by any means, but she used to be on the chubby side and is now thinner. I contemplated moving her back into quarantine to do a salt treatment but I am afraid that would throw her over the edge. I think she is one of those fish that has to have the stimulation of other fish. I cannot salt treat the 120 gallon tank because I have a large healthy group of Corys and a tiny little inch long albino pleco and one bristle nose pleco in there.

I definitely need some expert advise here. She is a gorgeous and sweet fish. I don't want to lose her. Something is not right.

Thank you for any advice you can give.

Well, slight progress...........I always feed them before I test the water. I gave them blanched broccoli about 1/2 hour ago. They love the stuff. When I clipped It in the tank, everyone got excited, even Betty. She hasn't gone up to the broccoli, but has stayed close and has gone down closest to the rocks than she has since before she was sick. I am going to peek around the corner and see if she is getting any of it.

Honestly, there really isn't anything you have mentioned that would be cause for alarm. She is starting to eat again and does not show any obvious signs of illness or even any signs of being stressed. After being in qt for quite awhile, the big tank is probably a bit overwhelming. Give her some time to adjust. Make sure she has the opportunity to get her share of whatever foods she is interested in (even if this means hand feeding). Your doing a great job of taking care of these guys!! Try to not stress too much and keep us posted with your concerns! :)

Betty was lying on the bottom of the tank yesterday. I had already done a water change and it was later in the afternoon before she started lying on the bottom. She could get momentum to get some height and then would settle to the bottom again. This morning, it is obvious her abdomen is now distended. She saw me and was excited, but was barely able to move herself across the water the rocks.

I will move her to quarantine this morning and start salt treatment over the next 24 hours but I do not hold much hope. I suspect she will be gone by the end of the day. She is one of my favorites. I will miss her.

You were right. I bought distilled water yesterday and it tested .25 for ammonia, just like my tanks. I obviously do not have ammonia or nitrites in my tanks. Why can't I trust this reading with my test kit?

I am having problems with nitrates. I am going to have to buy more plants and watch how much I am feeding.

Thank you all for your help.

It's hard to figure out a fish :) Moved her into her quarantine tank and without all of the water pressure on her, she is happily swimming aroun, even to the top. Well, she might be in there awhile. We are going to do the salt treatment and work on her appetite. I need to go get a better heater. The one on her tank is undersized. I keep them at 70 and turn it off during the hot days of Summer.

I'm sorry J. I wasn't avoiding you, I was just going through a tough time with Betty. She still wasn't eating much at all. The day after I posted, I got up to find her lying at the bottom of the tank. She tried to move but couldn't get far. I put her in a quarantine tank and treated her with Epsom Salts in her tank. I tried to feed her peas but she would have nothing to do with food. Then she started lying on her side and couldn't move far. I started antibiotic treatment but after a few days, she was actually getting worse. She had contracted fin and tail rot as well. It was obvious that she was not going to recover from this. She would still get excited when she saw me and wiggle. I got up everyday and checked on her first. It was obvious she was suffering, so I decided on humane euthanasia. I did research and the three choices that seemed most humane were clove oil, Vodka or benzodiazepines. There was no clove oil or vodka in town. I happen to be on clonazepam. I doubled the dose that I am allowed to take and put it in her filter box (no charcoal) so that it would slowly dissolve. It didn't work? I did this 3 days in a row and she was obviously not stressed because she would wiggle. She started looking so bad and my heart ached for her. Last night, I did it one more time, and she was gone this morning. I buried her, soaked everything that her water had come into contact with in bleach followed by a soak in chlorine neutralizer.

I still feel so sad :(

Back
Top Bottom