BGK with fin rot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hc8719

Aquarium Advice Addict
i got a new BGK, but his bottom undulating fin, as well as his two (arm fins, i dunno if they are pectorals, BGKs only have 3 fins)

at any rate, his fins are torn up, like someone took a scissors and took little snips all over. i called petsmart, who offered to replace him, or treat him.

my question is, is this fin rot, or did he just get in a fight with some other BGKs as they were being shipped from brazil.

if it is fin rot, its not contagious right, its just caused by stress that lowers the immune system, letting bacteria in.

ive never experienced fish disease in my years of fish keeping, so im a newbie when it comes to diseases

EDIT: also BGKs are scaleless fish, so can they be treated with normal medicine?

i am returning him to get treated, but was still curious, sorry i dont have any pics

Argh! Too many acronyms in this hobby!

Scaleless fish can be given regular medecine usually, but at lower doses. What are your water stats?

I've successfully treated fin rot on a catfish with a quarantine tank, lots of water changes and a bit of Stress Coat. My clown loach was the stress source.

all my params are fine, the black ghost knife is brand new, so i know its not the water, i'm taking him back tonight, and i'll update

Back
Top Bottom