bichirs fighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

herp_mommy

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've had my two bichirs for months now, with absolutely no aggression. A few weeks ago, the female took a chunk out of the smaller male's fin. Now she's taken a bite out of his tail. Is she just hormonal? :huh: Why would there be sudden aggression? I feel like I need to sell her to the LFS.

I've had lots of experience with Bichirs and Bichir on Bichir aggression. I need a little bit more information like each Bichir size, tank size, Polypterus specie, tank mates if any. Thanks!

They're Senegal bichirs, the male is albino. Both around 3", housed in a 46gal bowfront. I know they can't stay in the tank at adult size, but could the aggression be that they're competing for space? I also just recently rearranged the tank.

herp_mommy said:
They're Senegal bichirs, the male is albino. Both around 3", housed in a 46gal bowfront. I know they can't stay in the tank at adult size, but could the aggression be that they're competing for space? I also just recently rearranged the tank.

Really? I've never seen nipping in Bichirs at such a small size. My Bichirs usually didn't get nippy until like 5-6 inches. I wouldn't think that they would be fighting over space at that small. I've also haven't experienced Senegal on Senegal aggression. It's always been my other Polypterus species that get aggressive. Are there other tank mates? The rearrangement may have done that. They may have establish a territory due to landmarks in the tank.

Predfan27 said:
Really? I've never seen nipping in Bichirs at such a small size. My Bichirs usually didn't get nippy until like 5-6 inches. I wouldn't think that they would be fighting over space at that small. I've also haven't experienced Senegal on Senegal aggression. It's always been my other Polypterus species that get aggressive. Are there other tank mates? The rearrangement may have done that. They may have establish a territory due to landmarks in the tank.

No other tank mates. Just them two. Should I add more hiding spaces?

herp_mommy said:
No other tank mates. Just them two. Should I add more hiding spaces?

Hmmm that is real strange. That's plenty of space for those two at this time. Yeah, maybe make rocks or driftwood create a visual barrier?

Back
Top Bottom