BIG white bumps on goldfish. Too late?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dan-kappa

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey,
first time posting, rescued this fish when a friend's pond collapsed. Put it in my little brother's 25 gal with three smaller fishes: one blackmoore and 2 regular bait goldfish. I'm rarely home and my little brother just told me that the fish has bumps on it. I wish he told me earlier but he didn't.

Whats wrong with it? how bad is the condition? what are my options?

To be honest, I really wasn't planning on keeping the fish and Im a broke college student with 40$ to my name... so I can't spend a lot of money to nurse it back. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Danny

Attachments

• IMG_2182.jpg
    IMG_2182.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 1,095
  • IMG_2180.jpg
    IMG_2180.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_2171.jpg
    IMG_2171.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_2196.jpg
    IMG_2196.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 211
I've never had this in my aquarium before, so I have no advice to share regarding treatment.

If you are not planning on keeping the fish, there are folks on Craigslist who may want a goldfish. They're good fish, they'll eat anything.

Is it in the gills or past them? Parasites or viral - you could look up salt baths / treatments which would be cheap and worth a try.

The bump on his head and growing from his gill, correct? Do you have any idea of the water parameters or water change schedule on this tank? What they are fed (brand food, anything else)? Some more information will be very helpful!

Looks like a tumour to me. He should be fine, as long as it isn't an aggressive cancer. My fantail has a tumour for over 8 years now and still alive, he's turning 12 this year.

If the bump is under the scale and protruding outward it could be a parisitic worm. I would agree a salt bath is in order. 1-5gal bucket with water, airline and 2 cups solor salt. If there is any opening that thing wil be coming out. If not, trap it in a net and on a wet surface lift the scale with a tooth pick and pop the nodule and back into the bath for 20-30 min.

Looks like a tumour to me. He should be fine, as long as it isn't an aggressive cancer. My fantail has a tumour for over 8 years now and still alive, he's turning 12 this year.

I agree as well. Goldfish are prone to both tumors and lymphocystis (a viral disease) as well as carp pox (another viral disease). All produce fleshy growths which are unsightly but not fatal. There are 'no medical' treatments for these (beyond veterinary excision if a growth interferes with quality of life). Treatment consists of supportive practices which means lots and lots of clean, healthy water and a nutritious diet to help support the fish's immune system.

Back
Top Bottom