Bite or issue?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lifeoffroad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I think one of my fish is being bullied. Can anyone tell from this picture if this is a bite or a parasite/fungal issue. I have just finish treating my tank for ich on my loaches. With that I have been using salt. It looks like this guy is getting better but can't tell really. The wound now has a white stringy piece of skin it looks like hanging from it.

By the way he has been acting orrery normal and happy. Feeds fine. Before it happened though he was kicking it at the top in the corner like he was scared.

Attachments

• image-506566617.jpg
    image-506566617.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 178
HUKIT said:
Looks like Bloat to me, does the swollen area look like a pinecone?

Like a pinecone? No not really. It looks like a piece was taken out of him. What's bloat?

Also I don't know if you can tell but there is a small red bump up by his mouth.

HUKIT said:
The picture makes it look like it's swollen, is the area swollen at all?

Yeah it looks a little swollen. More just red. With white around the edge. Then today there was a white string hanging from it. I'll try and get a better picture.

Well I think I might know what it is. Apparently these fish have a common disease. With it is almost certain death. The other one is likely to get it. Bummer. I'm going to get my money back at least. They were like 4 bucks each. **** breeders.

Well I think I might know what it is. Apparently these fish have a common disease. With it is almost certain death. The other one is likely to get it. Bummer. I'm going to get my money back at least. They were like 4 bucks each. **** breeders.

Bloat is a symptom of Dropsy, I've seen it many times with gourami over the years. Even had one fish where the impaction actually burst them healed but couldn't process food any longer so I put her down. You could try Epsom salts or is the fish is eating a thawed deshelled pea to air in digestion.

HUKIT said:
Bloat is a symptom of Dropsy, I've seen it many times with gourami over the years. Even had one fish where the impaction actually burst them healed but couldn't process food any longer so I put her down. You could try Epsom salts or is the fish is eating a thawed deshelled pea to air in digestion.

Yeah I read about dropsey. Not sure if its that. The fish is acting totally fine. Eating fine to.

So here is another picture that might be better. Hope you can see it good.

Attachments

• image-4043831409.jpg
    image-4043831409.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 110
It looks more like a burn to me, i tihnk that maybe he wedged himself in between the heater and the glass and its left a mark. Im not sure what you can do until it heals but i segguest just putting some stress coat into there for extra slime coat and frequent water changes so it doesnt get infected. Also this fish is known as a dwarf gourami :)
Another thing welcome to AA :)

What are you water parameters? Ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate? Dwarf gouramis are pretty sensitive. What other fish are in the tank? Are there any other dwarf gouramis?

siva said:
What are you water parameters? Ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate? Dwarf gouramis are pretty sensitive. What other fish are in the tank? Are there any other dwarf gouramis?

My parameters are all fine. I figured out what it is. It's cottonmouth. I think it came over from my old tank. I had a fish in that tank that most likely had it.

Back
Top Bottom