Black fins after fin rot ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

staygold

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,
My goldfish tank is just in the healing process after having fin rot ( I'm pretty sure anyway) after some serious tail nipping was going on in my tank.

There was no problems with the water, and no overcrowding in my tank.

I rehoused the culprits into another tank and kept my main tank as a hospital tank as it was easiest to keep the fish where they were as I didn't have a big enough tank cycled.

At first I thought it was a fungal infection, I tried Pimafix by itself and had no luck. My fish were rapidly declining.
After reading up about melafix I decided to give that ago as well as raising the temperature in the tank in case it had turned into a bacterial infection.
That seemed to do the trick, my fish are much happier. Their fins are on the mend. One of my fish however, seems to be healing his fins and fusing together where it split with a bold black colour. And my other fish with a lighter body and tail colour is healing with a dark red?

Is this normal ?

So I'm assuming ammonia is 0 here and ph is fine as that could cause this. The black and the red could also be a bacterial infection. If it gets worse, treat with a bacterial med stronger than pimafix. If healing fine, just keep up water changes.

Back
Top Bottom