Black Molly with White Spots/Fuzz?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AsheAUS

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi Guys,

I've recently lost a bunch of Neon Tetras, and a Siamese Algae Eater, and 2 of my Black Mollys now have a very small number of white spots on them, and a sort of white fluff around their mouths. I'm trying to figure out what I should be treating for here.

Size of tank: 80 Gallons/300 Litres
Freshwater
Filter: AqauaOne Nautilus 1100 (1100lph/290gph)

Water parameters:
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5-10

Temperature: 24*C/75*F

Other Fish:
3 Small Angels
2 African Butterfly Cichlids
2 Platy
3 Siamese Algae Eater
2 Otocinclus
6 Neon Tetras (Was 20 - 14 Have died over the past few days)
5 Molly
4 Guppy
2 Dwarf Gourami
All are small.

Foods: Tropical Flakes/Algae Wafer Once per day

Signs/symptoms: very small number of white spots and white fluff around mouth

I changed the water this morning (25%) and I am using Gravel Substrate which is fully vacuumed on each change.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-08-19 at 12.16.15 am.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-08-19 at 12.16.15 am.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 436
  • Screen Shot 2018-08-19 at 12.16.09 am.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-08-19 at 12.16.09 am.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 169
  • Screen Shot 2018-08-19 at 12.15.58 am.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-08-19 at 12.15.58 am.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 571
Looks like fungus growth. I'd quarantine the infected ones and treat with aquarium salt....1 teaspoon per 5 gallons of water....and Erythromycin. Keep the water pristine as well.

I thought it was fungus myself but it has been suggested it may also be Columnaris, any idea of the best way for me to determine which it is?

If it's Columnaris then it's highly likely it will die no matter what you do. IMO, it's worth treating for fungus and see what happens. Columnaris usually spreads all over the body.

IMO, that is definitely Columnaris. When you can see the symptom (white discoloration or fungus) around the mouth, irreparable damage has already occurred internally. I think the best course of action is to remove any obviously affected fish asap and euthanize. Your goal should be to try and save the surviving tankmates, by keeping the tank clean, lowering the temp. To the lower 70's and quickly removing any additional fish showing symptoms.
Once Columnaris takes hold, the chance of curing a fish is remote.

Back
Top Bottom