Black molly with worms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ocminpin

Aquarium Advice Addict
View attachment 55525

Here's my 2nd round of camallanus worms... Sigh... Had a Dalmatian Molly to
Had to eventually euthanize because she was so full of worms after 2-3 weeks...
The Tetra parasite guard didn't seem to help the worms... And they just exploded inside her :-(
Now my black Molly.... Advice please...

Are u sure shes not pregnant. Kinda looks like she is, was she with males at all?

Yes she's pregnant... Along with my other 3 females... I have a male also...
I posted the picture you can zoom in and see the red spikie worms sticking out her vent..

Well it could be a baby shes square enough to look like she'll drop

View attachment 55525

Here's my 2nd round of camallanus worms... Sigh... Had a Dalmatian Molly to
Had to eventually euthanize because she was so full of worms after 2-3 weeks...
The Tetra parasite guard didn't seem to help the worms... And they just exploded inside her :-(
Now my black Molly.... Advice please...

Because it's an internal parasite you need to treat more than just the tank, you have to feed the fish with parasite meds. Jungle labs makes a good one, but the best thing you can do is go to Petsmart or Petco and get dog dewormer with Fenbendazole, it's called SafeGuard. Mix a little bit of the powder with a block of frozen food, let it sit for an hour so the food soaks up the medication, feed twice a day. Do water changes twice a week and use Jungle Labs Parasite tabs. Use them at half the dose so that it doesn't affect your beneficial bacteria or the fish. Do this 3 times and be sure to vacuum the gravel well.

As the worms fall out they can still live in the gravel. Because they will be weakened by the dog dewormer, they will be easier to kill with the parasite tabs. That is the only way to kill this parasite off.

Thank you Dragonfish! I will be off to Petsmart tomorrow. I just have to save her... And feed the others as though they have the parasite also... By the time the fish I lost died her vent was forced open the size of a pencil eraser she was so full of worms..
This black Molly does look pregnant and has grown, but could it be the worms that are filling her up? Her birthing tube has protruded a bit and you can see it's larger and looks like a white cylinder tube...
Oh, will this medication affect my pregnant females? I have 3 other pregnant mollies in the tank also.. One quite full of babies..

Any medication can affect the pregnant females, just like with us humans. It is unfortunate but if it saves them to breed another day, then well worth it. My anglefish actually spawned during this treatment, of course, they are terrible parents anyways and eat the eggs.

Sounds like the one is getting in worse condition with the worms, start that treatment today and keep your fingers crossed that you're catching it in time.

When I said "do this 3 times" that also means the using the treated foods. These are some nasty worms. The first round kills off some, but they still have eggs inside the fish, the second 2 rounds kill off whats left.

If you have around $8.00 or so you can get a bottle of the Jungle Labs anti-parasite food. That would be a start to weaken the worms until you have more money.

Just put the last of it in the tank... Hard times with bills and all... Have to wait till the morning... Bummer
Oh... And I still have the Tetra Parasite Guard.. Can I use that to treat the water and tank?

Okay... My male has it too... *sigh* does that mean the whole tank is probably infested? (I'm going to treat entire tank as well as feeding medicated frozen BBS) starting tomorrow... Just curious

I'm soaking Safeguard into BBS to feed them and dissolving a Parasite Guard Tablet to put In the water...
After all the doses and waiting a few days would it be appropriate to do a 100% water change to get all the meds and dead worms and eggs out of the water and gravel? I don't have a gravel vacuum yet.. Had bad luck with a little cheap one..
I'm thinking to let my filter cartridge in aquarium water for the days I dose meds to keep bacteria alive?
I feel so bad dosing when I have a pregnant lyretail about to burst :-(

Back
Top Bottom