Black moor goldfish had ick, now fungus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bugsy is doing better every day. Thanks for asking! I haven't had the chance to do the methylene blue baths, so I am a bit behind on that. I am doing daily pwc, and every other day water testing to keep the water healthy.

I looked into my power filter options, and I think I will go with the AquaClear 70 in the new 40g breeder tank. The recommended range for that filter is 40-70g tanks.

I am still trying to figure out a few things for the new tank:

1) Best way to cycle with a single large moor goldfish.
2) Sand or gravel.
3) Is planted an option with a single large moor goldfish?

Let me know if you have an opinion on those topics. :)

Thanks,
Kent

If you can afford the ac110, go for it! Its always better to overfilter if your budget will allow it. Great job staying on top of wcs! If he seems to be healing up with just this, no need for the mb baths. :)

Ok, for your questions. For cycling the new tank, just move him and your present filter over to the new tank. Your present filter will help seed the new tank with good bacteria. Then just stay on top of daily testing and wcs as determined by your test results. You may or may not see any spikes in toxins but hopefully not! That's it!

Sand or gravel is a personal choice but its preferred to keep fancies with either sand or barebottom as gravel does pose a choking hazard. I love pool filter sand (pfs) and have it in all my tanks. Its also inexpensive ($10 or less for 50lbs), looks nice, does not cloud or get sucked up into filters/grav vacs as its a large grain, heavy sand. It also works well for keeping plants.

In respect to plants, there are ALOT of naysayers to keeping a tank planted with goldfish. I disagree as my tanks are planted to very heavily planted with goldies. The key is feeding them lots and lots of daily veggies so they are not tempted to graze on the free salad bar. If he is a digger, plant anchors can be used until plants are well rooted and can not be dug up. IMO, I say go for it! You will also figure out what plants are easier to keep than others quickly- he will decide what can stay! Let me know if you want to see a planted goldie tank with pfs- I will gladly post a pic!

1. I will go ahead and get the ac110 as the cost difference between it and the ac70 is not that much.

2. Understood on the cycling. I'm not sure how much cycling is happening in the qt, so I might try to get some substrate/water/filter squeezings from a friend's tank.

3. Pool filter sand sounds like a better choice than the gravel we have been using. Bugsy is so messy and the excess food and poo just goes into the gravel and never comes out. Do I need to combine the pfs with anything else besides root tabs in order to have healthy plants?

4. For plants, I would love to see pics of your planted goldie tank with pfs! Thanks for offering. I've never had a planted tank, and I will want to go for a low light/low maintenance setup and try to avoid CO2 injection. If I have to do CO2 injection to have healthy plants, then I probably won't do a planted tank at this time.

5. You mention daily veggies...I'm afraid that Bugsy's diet is not what it should be. :hide: Can you suggest a good diet for him that is not too labor intensive for his people? :oops:

Thanks again for all of you helpful replies. There is a black moor goldfish way over here on the west coast that is benefiting tremendously from them! :thanks:

Nothing special needed with pfs. Root tabs are a good idea with heavy root feeder-type plants (such as a sword). I don't run co2 but do use ferts and dose co2 supplement (excel) when I remember to do so! The plants do grow better when I remember to use it more often but as they are already out of control, it's not a big deal. No need for anything fancy or complicated to have a planted tank!

Ok, bugsys diet. What are you presently feeding him? We can work from there and make some simple changes that are not hard to try though you will need to him a chance to try everything. And it may take a few tries! Deshelled mushed peas are easy. Pretty much any plain cooked veggie will too but avoid the heavy starches (corn, potatoes) and anything spicy. I buy bags of the frozen micro veggies, cook and put in tupperware type container for the week. Broccoli florets are a great one! Stick in veggie clip and leave overnight/afternoon. Cauliflower, zucchini, spinach, kale, carrots, peppers, etcetc. Tough stuff can be smooshed in a garlic press. Fruits are good too- try whatever you have. Berries, bananas, oranges, melons, soft apple/pear,etc. a favorite of my guys are the dole tangerine segments in juice. Canned fruits are fine but stick to those packed in juice rather than syrup. Skip the canned veggies (a lot of salt). Experiment and see what he may like! Will post a pic in minute- I think there's some on my cell! :)

Let's see if these post!

Attachments

• image-2278411806.jpg
    image-2278411806.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 128
  • image-4270549650.jpg
    image-4270549650.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 112
Back
Top Bottom