Black moor POPEYE HOW DO I TREAT?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This pic is of my little black moor Dave are his eyes normal?. Cause the big black moors so called Popeye looks like Dave's normal eyes. Im wondering whether now Ludos (big black moor)smaller eye is the problem/ damaged eye. Like its sunk in.

Sent from my Kestrel using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1415824864404.jpg
    1415824864404.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 108
I've found that the black moors eyes pop eventually. I've bred them and it happened to all of them I can't tell from your pictures if it's anything serious

I've decided to go with a broad spectrum anti internal bacteria med as advised by aquatic centre. They did say black moors are prone to eye problems. And since by water quality is good is likely a secondary infection from damage caused to eye by a whitespot parasite. So I think likely an opportunistic internal bacteria problem now from injury as only affecting one eye.

The medication has bronopol, formaldehyde and benzalkonium listed in it

Did another 50% water change today, I did one two days ago so that I can start new treatment asap and to get the melafix out of the water, although the lfs said melafix is fine to use with this medication The internal bacteria is two step treatment so ive dosed water today day 1 and then I have to do on 4th which is sunday, I will do a large water change again in 7days on Tuesday and test the water sat before 2nd dose, just incase I need to do a part waterchange before second dose, it says that the treatment doesn't affect the good bacteria or filters but you never know with medication. I do have 3 filters running on the tank, one external ehiem 350 classic with a large body of media (no carbon sponges) and two internal filter pf2 interpret and a ehiem 2012 pick up. Il keep you updated on Ludos progress

for a 160 litre tank I have over 1000lphr filteration so nice and clean which is good as 160 is 42 us gallons which is slightly overstocked with 4 fancy goldfish but as I said it has only have the 4th tank mate in for about a month and their new 119us gallons is due to be delivered around 24th of the month. So fingers crossed I can have Ludos eye sorted before the big move :) so excited to get them in the 119gallon

Honestly, his right eye that you believe is swollen appears perfectly normal. His left eye appears to have lost some fluid which can happen very easily (and commonly) in moors due to a minor bump/injury as they are visually impaired and have a difficult time with depth perception. If his behavior and appetite are normal and there is nothing amiss to suggest there is an internal infection, I would not treat the tank.

If this is the case ,will the sunken eye get better ,grow back?. The larger eye did have some cloundiness around the pupil and slight mark where I know a whitespot parasite had been. I have already started useing anti internal bacteria no 9 from interpret should I continue treatment. The sunken eye had slight redness but that has improved it seems since adding the first dose of internal bacteria treatment y.day. Don't know if this is just concidence rather than because of the medication and the eye just naturally healing. Ludo is terrible for getting really excited at meal times and I feed in same corner of tank, which does means his left eye could be rubbing up the tank wall. I will feed more to the middle of the tank from now but on

How do his eyes appear today? Is he still acting like his normal self?

Telescoped eye fish such moors have a variety of eye shapes that range from small firm sockets to large globular eyes with fluid filled sacs that surround them. Some will have a mix of both types. It's quite normal for moors to have very different shaped/sized eyes as well.

As I mentioned, I believe he may have suffered a minor injury to his eye resulting in the loss of fluid in the sac that surrounds it. This is also fairly common as their eyes are easily injured. Sometimes, the sac is able to repair itself and re-inflate. Other times, it does not but this will not affect his quality or quantity of life so do not stress over this!

I am not sure what the suggested course is for the particular product that you added. Generally, it's best to finish a course of treatment once started unless there are obvious negative effects/stress. I would monitor your water conditions closely for any possible toxin spikes. Pristine water conditions and a good diet are the best 'meds' for minor injuries that do not show signs of infection. Please ask any questions! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hi Ludo seems to be doing fine he is acting normally and no changes in behaviour, I did a partial water change before I added the second dose of treatment I decided to finish the course the nitrate was at 20 so I felt a waterchange was needed before second dose, I was meant to get my new tank on sunday but the company had a problem with there van, hopeing it might come today. I have been doing more water changes as my tank has been over stocked for about a month 4 fancies in a 42 gallon tank. But I knew my 119 gallon would be on its way soon so I wasn't too stressed about this. Ludo's sunken eye seems to have loss some of its redness the area about his pupil had a tinge of red to its colour and the other eye has lost its slight cloudiness from around the pupil since adding the internal bacteria treatment so it may have helped this. He seems to be doing great. ate a lot of broccoli yesterday and he is eating very well. I have tried to drop there pellets nearer the centre of the tank, as I feel he may of injured his eye by rubbing it up and down the side of the tank where I feed them in one corner. He gets really excited at meal times. I feed small meals about 3 times a day as I have under 1year olds in with him. My two black moors never get as much food as the two fantails cause they are slower and find it harder to see the pellets but they get enough.

Ludo is doing so well. I did a large water change today , his sunken eye looks like it's slightly reinflated! Perimeters were spot on before I did WC amonina 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 15 . fingers crossed eye will heal in time. He seems too have full vision tho.

Back
Top Bottom