Black moor question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Koikeeper99

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My black moor is with 4 other fancies and all the other fish always get to the food first cause my black moor stays at the bottom during feeding time anyway to get him some of his own food?

Feed everyone else and hand feed him while the rest are eating. Or get sheet rigid plastic and use it as a temporary tank divider for mealtimes to seperate him from the others. Moors are sight impaired- some a lot more so than others and it sounds like he may not be quite aware of the food (especially if it's floating). If his tank mates are not as handicapped as he is, he is at a disadvantage and needs some help at mealtimes. :)

How do you get them to hand feed? And I already have a divider with koi on other side

Do mind if I ask why you have a koi in an aquarium? How big is the tank with all these fish?

Ok, I honestly never thought about getting a fish to hand feed. Even new fish will take food from your hand if they hungry enough. Go dig up some earthworms & dangle one in front your moor & see if he will take it. If he doesn't, drop it in front of him. Or get a pinch of defrosted bloodworms & hold it front of his face- if he doesn't take them, drop them in front of him. Do this while everyone else is eating. Earthworms are a great source of protien for fish. :)

Ok and 55 gallon koi are going in a pond after winter there about 5 inches now so there good for now

Is there just one koi or more than one? Unless you have severe artic winters, the koi would be fine a pond over winter as long as the pond is kept free of ice. To have 5 fancies and koi in a 55g is quite heavily overstocked- your pushing the stocking capacity of a 55g even with 5 fancies and I would not keep even a single koi in a 55g. If you are going to try and manage this situation, your going to have to have a hefty water change schedule as in daily or every other day 50-75+% wcs. I really would move the koi outside asap. :)

There's three small ones but I have two 75 bio-wheel filters and I'll probably move them soon

Back
Top Bottom