Black Moor slim coat issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I plan on do what has been suggested. Im just so confused on all the information. Since I have no fish in tank I plan to cycle that way. Ive been watching videos and reading more. And I think I can accomplish what is needed. Doesnt sound as hard as I thought. Bigger tank is been bought soon. I figured I can cycle the water I have in tank and use that in new tank to get that tank up faster.

Glad to hear you’ve decided to go the fishless route. You have access to help every step of the way here. It’s nowhere near as difficult as fish in cycling. Bigger is better with goldfish tanks, so try to get the largest size you can. You are correct, building an established beneficial bacteria colony in your existing filter will make cycling your larger tank much faster. Good luck!

I do have a few questions. Water temp important when doinf the cycle? I dont have one since I was told it wasnt nesscerry for goldfish. I dont want ro start buying stuff i wont be using for the fish. Also can someone clarify how to raise the ammonia levels i need to start. What i understand is. Add enough ammonia to raise to 4ppm. Now how much is that? Is it little by little or a certain amount? Also how often do i check the water? I have strips and a full water test kit. Also at what point do i stop adding and just let it do its job? Do i add anything else? I read fish food can help the process? Plant will be fine? Should I remove the decorations? With the filter, I have just the charcoal mesh incert. What happen with that. Is that my medium to grow the bacteria? I will add pic of my setup in another post. No attachments tab. Please let me know if this will effect my process. Thanks again for all the help. Sorry for being a little stubborn. Just a little emotional from losing pets

No worries.
Let’s get started.
First off, if you have a heater, turn it up to around 78F. Don’t worry about exact temp, somewhere in that range will be fine. It speeds the process along. You will lower the temp when the cycle is complete.
Get some pure ammonia. You can find it at some hardware stores. No surfactants! Soaps/scents.
Add a few drops, then test. You want to reach 4ppm on your liquid test kit, which you will definitely need.

You don’t need to remove anything from your tank during the cycle. Plants won’t be harmed by ammonia. You simply need to keep your ammonia level at 4ppm. You will begin testing for nitrite in a week or so, then we’ll go from there. No water changes during this time.

What type of filter do you have? You need more media than a charcoal insert.

Last edited:
Here are some pictures of my filter.

Attachments

• 20180111_064027.jpg
    20180111_064027.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 20180111_064045.jpg
    20180111_064045.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 20180111_064053.jpg
    20180111_064053.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 20180111_064111.jpg
    20180111_064111.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 31
No its a sponge type incert. I think I have a better pic of it. Ill look and post

Is using one of the products they sell at the pet store ok or should it be from the hardware store? Talking about the ammonia

The pet store will not carrier the ammonia they sell what is supposed to be bacteria in a bottle but in the last 6 months on here I haven't heard of any of them working. I got mine for like 3 dollars for a gallon bottle about 4 years ago and I still have most of it at True Value. I have heard most people got janitorial strength ammonia at Ace hardware. Just depends what's close where you live.

Do you have an Ace Hardware? I don’t know of any pet shops that sell pure ammonia.

I found one that had 10% of something else I forgot. Im assuming that it must be 100% ammonia?

This is all i could find. Is rhis what i need? The ammonium hydroxide is ok. I believe its so its not corrosive?

Attachments

• 20180111_184638.jpg
    20180111_184638.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 18
I would check to see if the product contains any detergents, surfactants, dyes, perfumes, etc. Check the label. You might be able to the find the MSDS information online for that product (lots of info there).
You can also shake the bottle to see if it foams up. If so, most likely has surfactants; would pass on using it for cycling.
You can do what the salties do: put a raw cocktail shrimp in some panty hose and let it decompose.

I read something like that some where. Wouldn't that smell though. If this bottle is free from all that stuff then it should be ok? If not i think i found some online. It was like 2 oz. How much will i need?

So I did get the right stuff. I added it to my water and im at least at 4ppm i might be a little over. Not sure how close to the color am I suppose to be? I might be at 8ppm. Im guessing that might just take longer to cycle out? So in a week i test ammonia and nitrate?

You can always do a water change to bring the ammonia down.
In a week I would test ammonia and nitrite. You can test for nitrate but it would be too soon for this.

Back
Top Bottom