Black Moor with cloudy eye

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LuckyCho

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So yesterday I moved my Black Moor GF and my Oranda into their 55g(fully fishless cycled). Yesterday and this morning everybody looked fine. I get home from work today and my Black Moor, Sumo, has cloudy eye and what looks like spots of couldy slime on one side. I have API Super ich cure and API Triple Sulfa on hand. The triple sulfa says it treats both of those but I wanted to ask here before dunking my fish into anything unneccesary.What could have caused this? Ive had him for about 4 months now I think and after having ich from the pet store he's been completely healthy.

How are they going? Did you acclimatise them across into similar temperature water. I would try a half dose of the super ich cure and see if that clears it.

Last edited:
They both seem fine. Sumo the sick one is a little bit lazy. Why the super ich cure over the triple sulfa if you don't mind me asking. And no I didn't because I made sure the tanks were basically the same temp. There was a two degree difference but I floated then and drip acclimated them for about an hour or more.

Sent from my XT1254 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I just need to check ingredients of ick cure :( Do you have a list. I assumed it was the powder but wanted to check.

Triple Sulfa active ingredients are 664mg sodium sulfathiazole, 168 mg sodium sulfathazine, and 168 mg sodium sulfathazine.
The super ich cure is 1.3mg benzaldehyde green and 1% PVP per 5ml dose. I don't know what the PVP is.

Both are doses for 10gal. I think I'm going to do a big water change tonight and see how he is in the morning. Then I might proceed with a half dose of the triple sulfa in the qt tank. He looks much better today. Looks like he has a thick slime coat but his eyes are a little clearer

Oops was thinking it was the powder which looked a bit more general purpose. It sounds encouraging on your fish.

This was my thoughts:

I've found the triple sulpha very safe but slower acting and more of an anti-bacterial (although covers white spot and maybe fungus). The slower acting nature may be just an impression I have from reading (link below). I have never seen it used to treat white spot directly and have never found it to be an overnight cure (my thoughts only). Not saying your fish has white spot - just a comment on how fast-acting this med is.

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/AquariumMedication2.html#sulfa

The malachite green (or similar) will cover low level bacterial, cloudy eye, fungal in the slime coat or just cleanup of excess slime coat due to stress. A bit more risky which is why I was thinking the half dose.

That was my thoughts anyway. Something general purpose for a low-level (hopefully), external issue.

Triple sulpha could work just as well, it just wasn't my first choice.

Perfect thanks so much for the help. He is looking way better today. Still looks a little slimy and his she's are a tiny bit cloudy but he looks much better today. Should I medicate or just leave him? I'm gonna leave him alone I think. But I'm open to suggestions

from what you are describing it sounds like a common fungus gold fish get , the easiest and safest way to treat is to add aquarium salt into the tank , you should see improvement over a day or so , when I kept goldfish it was common practice to use aquarium salt it helps keep parasites down and also goldfish health will improve along with brighter coloration ,

this link will basically tell you about the same thing I mentioned

treat-body-slime-fungus-goldfish-

Did a little more than 50%wc tonight and added salt. Treated about 30g with salt and the fish looked happier before I was done with the change. Did it slowly and matched temps the whole way so everyone is doing good. Will update sometime tomorrow but Sumo seems like he is well on the road to recovery. His fin has been up all day and he can see well enough to follow his buddy Kupo (the oranda) around all day. Thanks again for all the help, I'm very relieved to hear this is common and fairly easy to deal with.

WOW! He is 100% again already! Thank you, both of you, very very much. I'm so happy Sumo is no longer in discomfort. I'll keep observing closely and testing the water a little more frequently for the next couple weeks but I think we're all bueno. :dance::thanks:

Back
Top Bottom