Black Moors and Eye Pop?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tauquenmay

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I've had 2 blackmoors goldfish in my tank for the last 3 months along with 2 fantails. One of my blackmoor's eyes looks a little different from the other (which I assume is the one with normal looking eyes because of all the pictures of normal black moors on the internet.) I'm just wondering since these kind of fish already naturally have bulging eyes, how can I tell if they have eye pop? I've tried dosing it with Melafix for 7 days last month but it didn't seem to change. So, the info about my tank is:

1~What type of fish is afflicted?
-Blackmoor

2~What are your tank parameters
-0 ppm Ammonia
5 ppm Nitrite
.5 ppm Nitrate
Temp 75 degrees
PH 7.6

3~ How large is the tank?
-10 gallon and its been set up for 3 months now

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.
-Not sure half of this question... but its a topfin power filter 10 and I changed the filter cartridge just today rinsing it with conditioned water before putting it in.

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?
-All the fish are the same sizes, 2 inches each

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
-everyweek, i just did one today. i remove about 50% water each time

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
-3 months
8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
-No
9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?
-I feed them peas every 4 days or so, but right now i'm feeding them Topfin: Goldfish Floating Variety Pellets for their daily meal, and now and then i would give them some Topfin: Shrimp Pellets

Thanks for help.

Goldfish tend to have a lot of mutations, so it could just be that. My black moor has a mutated fin, but he gets along just fine and he doesn't seem to notice it.

Also, that is a lot of goldfish for a ten gallon. That many might work for now while they are small, but really soon your going to need an upgrade. I have thre fancy golds in a 29 gallon, and that is probably pushing it, but I have plants to help deal with the waste, so it helps. In another couple years I am probably going to upgrade to a 55 gallon.

Just something to think about.

The 5 ppm of nitrite is a problem!!! <I hope it is a mis-type, you will likely lose all your fish at that level of nitrite.>

If you truly have such a high level of nitrite, I would suggest doing an emergency water change of at least 90%. <Remove fish to a clean container of tank water, remove all water in the tank, refill with clean water, return fish to tank. Make sure water parameters & temperature are identical in change water & tank.> Generally you need to keep nitrite under 0.25, so even if your nitrite is 0.5, you still should be doing a water change.

The presence of nitrite indicates an incomplete cycle in the tank. You should have zero ammonia & nitrites by this stage. the presence of nitrates indicates that you are on your way, but you need to be doing pwc's daily until the cycle is completed.

Bad water is certainly the most common cause of fish problem. I wouldn't bother with Malafix until you get the parameters under control. 4 golds in a 10 is overcrowded. You will need to do lots of water changes even after your tank is cycled. You might be OK at 50% weekly when the fish are small, but you will soon need to do daily pwc's as the fish grow. You will do much better with a larger tank (or fewer fish .... no more than 2 in a 10 .... some would say just one.>

It is hard to tell pop eye in a growing moor. Generally, you would suspect problem if:
Fish show other symptoms - lethergy, off food, hiding, etc.
One eye is larger than the other.
Eyes suddenly get big over a short peroid (days ... vs normal growth which would be weeks or months.)
Other swelling in body - ascitis, dropsy, raised scales.
Clousiness in the eye - or if you can see a fluke in the eye.

Should you need to treat, the current recommendation is food with anti-biotics or anti-parasitics. Things you put into water are no longer effective due to bacterial resistence.

argh, yes, i have a 55gal as a backup... when they grow a little bigger i'll put the goldies in there and the danios and tiger barbs somewhere else that i can be able to plan out. I heard these fishes are really hardies tho... so i didin't worry much, i didn't really planned to get them at first anyways because my dad bought them out of nowhere :( but I'll take best care of them. And for the nitrite problem, I put some salt and prime in to help. But yes, i'll keep posting about them and thx for your help. Photo of them will be uploaded tomorrow just to show u guys something more.

Back
Top Bottom