Black phantom bully?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Calvin and Kyle

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've had my tanks up and running for a couple years now and before I list the issue I'll give my readings.
For the tank in question 29 gal.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 15ish

So I have had a single black phantom tetra for a while mixed in this community tank. He had some black phantom friends with him a while back but they died a while ago due to an outbreak. Months later he now seems to be either attempting to mate or trying to bully my blue ram who is in the tank.

Why? Should I get him a female phantom? Or would this worsen his sudden behavior?

(I know he's a social fish and prefers schools)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You answered your own question. He should have 5 or more friends.

Some schooling fish show misplaced aggression when they don't have enough of their own species.

I used to be told to sell fish in minimums of three. The problem with that was people would get them home and the big one would kill off the other two and then start going after other tank mates. And these were normally peaceful species.

He hasn't acted like this in the 2 years he's been here. But if that's the case then I'll look to move him. I don't wanna risk overcrowding the tank by getting 4 more.

To be honest I can't tell if he's picking or trying to mate. I don't see him nipping. He's just really close and tries to like rub on him.

I'm going to watch closely for any nips or damage, if any he will be moved or provided familiar friends.

Okay I would like to say I resolved my issue, and the only reason I am replying is in case someone else in the future has a similar problem and stumbles upon this post.

After observing the phantom tetra for 2 more days. I noted he was aggressive to other fish he deemed a mating threat and was trying incredibly hard to mate with my blue ram. Probably because of the similar stripe across the eye, red underfins resembling a female phantom.

He was most persistent after large feeding and in low light(night light) setting or early morning.

I purchased two females following this observation. This has totally neutralized his aggression and mating habits. Keep the ratio of male to female around 2-1 or possibly even 3-1 to keep down any aggression.

Back
Top Bottom