Black Phantom Tetra Deaths

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CaJa

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
1~One of my 5 female Black Phantom Tetras die every night. When I wake up another is dead. They look fine all day. No discoloration, no bumps, not acting strange.

2~Ammonia: 0-.125 (my wife says 0, I think it's just barely above that), pH: 7.6, Nitrite 0-.125 (same deal, we see colors diferently), Nitrate 2.5

3~ 55 Gallon set up for a month.

4~Marineland Penguin 350 with Bio-Wheel

5~ 1 female MM Platy, 4 Zebra Danio, 2 Julii Cory (though after reading up on them I have doubts as to whether or not theyre actually Julii.), 1 female Black Phantom Tetra & 1 Assassin Snail.

6~One water change per week of 15% - 20%. Just did one Sunday. Always add Prime and Stresszyme to new water.

7~Just got the Tetras on Saturday. Did acclimate them for 20 minutes adding small amounts of tank water to bag after 15 min.

8~Added 2 Zebra Danio on same day.

9~Fish get flakes and sinking pellet (for Corys) in A.M. and either frozen Brine Shrimp or frozen Bloodworms and a sinking pellet for Corys in eve. We have done this from the beginning.

One of our new Danios had a white mouth (not fuzzy) locked open when we added him to our tank. Noticed within 10 minutes and put him in isolation tank where he died that night. Two nights later a Black Phantom Tetra died but looked completely healthy. The next Day a female Platy got a white mouth, like the Danio. I added Melafix that morning. It still died. I added Melafix the next two mornings, as directions said to for 3 three days, but every night another seemingly healthy Black Phantom Tetra dies. We started with 5 females so we wouldn't have babies like with our Platies, whose fry have taken over our 10 gallon.

It sucks to wake up and dread looking into the tank. I've inspected the dead fish and they all look colorful, with no noticeable marks. I didn't bother calling the aquarium store because, though they like to talk as if they know everything, they often contradict each other as well as what I've learned on my own.

Any ideas would be very helpful and appreciated.

Forgot to mention, this is a planted tank with Whisper 40 airpump and a stone kept at 76 degrees.

Back
Top Bottom