black poop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aeruelas

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Today o noticed a long black piece of waste coming put of one of my fish what could this be? Any feed back would greatly be appreciated as always.thanks

Without knowing what food is going in it's tough to tell what's coming out, what do you feed?

If the fish is eating and showing no other visual symptoms I don't think I'd be to concerned at this time.

I feed it tetramin tropical flakes and it kinda seems to lay at the bottom sometimes still eating but a alittle out of the norm

In addition to the type of fish, what size tank, stocking and water parameters? A fish laying on the bottom that normally does not do this indicates something is very amiss.

Its a goldfish doing this its with two rainbow fish two mollys a pleco a platy six ghost shrimpand two more common gold and fan tail now I know these shouldn't be together but I do frequent water bchanges and 7.6 nitrite and nitrate are? Since my kit got destryed. All in a 40 gal

How often and how big are your water changes? I am sorry but this tank is WAY overstocked with incompatible fish. The commons belong in a pond or a huge tank by themselves. The tropicals (which I believe need to be in schools except the pleco) & pleco need their own tank. A 40g is fully stocked with 2-3 fantails/fancy goldfish. I would start changing atleast 50% of their water daily until you can figure out your stocking situation. A goldfish laying on the bottom is indicative of both poor water quality and a poor diet. Daily water changes may help in the interim until you figure out your situation in addition to feeding the goldfish daily plain cooked veggies & quality sinking goldfish pellet. Flakes are the worst thing for them. The black poop is likely from a poor diet as well. If you have any questions, please ask!

Exactly I do 50% wc. One day the and the day after 25 then 50 or even just change the whole water I have a pond nearby which I was already considering since one common is at least 2-3 in head to tail.other than that I have h.o.b filter and submersible running at the same time add nova aqua and kordon water detoxifer clean gravel every other day since I know it overstocked.fish seem happy

Feed zucchini,romaine,peas,carrot this is my first tank and new to the hobby just to mention so I'm learning.but thanks for the feed back I appreciate it.

Ok, stay on top of those water changes and please get yourself another test kit for ammmonia, nitrite & nitrate in the meantime. The commons will be fine in a pond- moving them will help to drop your bioload down some. You then need to consider either getting another tank for tropicals & pleco, or, if only one tank is feasible, you need to decide if you want to keep a coldwater or tropical tank and rehome the other fish. Everyone is suffering by being in the same overstocked, tank right now and the weakest fish is already showing health symptoms as the result of his living environment. Figure out what will be the best for your situation and we can help get you on the road to happy & healthy fish and tank(s)!! Dont hesitate to ask any questions!!!! :)

Could be I have a female and male Molly female which could of already been pregnant from store

Back
Top Bottom