Black Skirt Tetra not well

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LobsterRoll

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Pop-eye?

One of my Black Skirt Tetras began swimming oddly two days ago (like he was swimming facing up, sideways, or upside down) and yesterday I noticed his eyes had become cloudy (they weren't two days ago when he was swimming odd). Today he has developed a bubble on his left eye. Did some research, the eye thing sounds like pop-eye, but nowhere said erratic swimming was a symptom of this. I added some water conditioner.

My tank is 20 gallons, and is currently at 82 degrees F
I have three other fish in the tank and a mystery snail. The fish are one other black skirt tetra, one buenos aires tetra, and one gold gourami
Food is national geographic tropical fish flakes

Is this pop-eye and what can I do to treat it? Thanks

Attachments

• 20160605_133737.jpg
    20160605_133737.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 207
When you have issues like this, true best thing is to do a large water change, ASAP! As much as you can while still leaving 1-2" for the fish. Then refill and double dose water conditioner.

Unfortunately I don't think your tetra will make it. In my 8 years of Fishkeeping, if a fish is swimming sideways/upside down and has an infection of some kind, it rarely will make it much longer.

Best thing is prevention by keeping up with your water changes and keeping your water parameters in check.

Btw I'd set the water temperature to 76, 82 is pretty high!

Btw I'd set the water temperature to 76, 82 is pretty high![/QUOTE]

Thanks for the help. Will try the water change.
He isn't swimming quite as erratically (he seemed like he was panicking before, now he seems calmer)

The bubble is gone, but I can't tell if it went down or ruptured. The opposite eye is still bulging and cloudy.

As of now the other fish are fine.

As for the temperature, I read somewhere that tropical fish should be between 78 and 82 F but I will look into that, thanks

76-78 is the ideal community tank temperature, I prefer lower temps as bacterial infections are less likely to happen and spread.

Water changes might do the trick for you...

UPDATE: tetra did not make it through the night

Lesson learned here: if a fish exhibits any abnormal behavior act on it immediately

Back
Top Bottom