Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-25-2004, 06:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to Andydg Send a message via Yahoo to Andydg
Black Spots

I just noticed a little while ago that my neon tetras and my white mickey mouse platy have these little black spots on their backs. I know they didn't have it before. I tried to take a picture to post and see if anyone would be able to I.D. the spots, but it turned out to be trying to just I.D. the fish the quality was so bad. Anyone have any ideas??? TIA.

Old 01-25-2004, 06:48 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

One possibility is the 'fish louse', Argulus. Are your fish exhibiting any other symptoms like 'flashing' or rubbing against objects in the aquarium? Have you added any new fish lately?

One product that I've used successfully to treat external parasites is Jungle Parasite Clear. They are the 'fizzy tabs' that distribute medication through your tank by fizzing like an Alka-Seltzer.

Old 01-26-2004, 12:23 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to Andydg Send a message via Yahoo to Andydg
They haven't been acting strange or rubbing on things in the tank at all. The last time I added a fish was about 2-3 weeks ago when I added some sunburst platies, they seem to be doing just fine though. Will the Jungle Parasite Clear kill anything beneficial to my tank???
Old 01-26-2004, 02:31 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Jungle Parasite Clear will probably kill any invertebrates in your tank like snails and/or shrimp. If you're keeping any of those then you'll definitely want to find them a temporary home during the treatment. It also contains an Acriflavine dye that will kill bacteria but I haven't noted any significant cycle problems with my tanks after I used it. Follow the directions on the box carefully and you should be OK.

Tags
black spot, black spots

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com