black spots on fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joel618

Aquarium Advice FINatic
In the last couple days a couple of my fish have gotten black spots on them. The spots are slightly raised. It appears to be a parasite but I just got done treating the tank with jingle parasite clear. Anyone know what this is and what I should treat with? I will post pics when I get home. They are on his belly.

Hi Joel! Some pics & some more information will help us to help you better. What type of fish are they (sick fish)? How many fish are in your tank? What size tank? Is it cycled? What are your water parameters (ammonia/nitrite/nitrate/ph)? How often & how much (%) are your pwcs?

jlk said:
Hi Joel! Some pics & some more information will help us to help you better. What type of fish are they (sick fish)? How many fish are in your tank? What size tank? Is it cycled? What are your water parameters (ammonia/nitrite/nitrate/ph)? How often & how much (%) are your pwcs?

Will get pics asap. It is on my Acei Cichlids. 3 of the 6. The tank is 75 gallons and cycled. Has been up for over 6 months. 15 mbuna is total, 8 synodontis petricola and 2 bnp's. All are 3 inches or less. I do at least one 50%-60% pwc per week, sometimes twice if I have the time. Not sure exact parameters but will test when I get and post with the pics. Thank you for the response!

I can't get any good pics of them. I noticed them on one of my yellow labs. Where the fins meet the body. They look like small black moles. 4 or less per infested fish. What should I do?

If its black spot then it will not kill the fish. Black spot needs to be eaten by a bird or animal in order to finish its life cycle, so assuming you don't keep birds around that will eat them, it shouldn't kill them.

The parasite needs to keep the fish alive. Eventually it will die off, just cause your fish alot of stress in the meantime. If you can treat it to make it go quicker it would help.

Back
Top Bottom