Black Spots on Molly Spreading to Blood Parrots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

launchdeck

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys, a few days ago I noticed black spots on one of my balloon belly mollies. I took some pictures and went to PetSmart and my LFS for some advice, but they didn't think it was that serious. Now the spots are still present three days later, and seem to be spreading to the fins of one of my Blood Parrots. If anyone can give me some help in diagnosing and treating this it would be extremely appreciated.

Here's an album of the spots on the Balloon Belly Molly, as well as some on the Blood Parrot (sorry the BP pics are a little blurry, but its on the tip of the bottom fin of the smaller one). Please let me know if any more info is needed, thanks a lot!

Tank Info:
- 29 Gallon (2 months old, fully cycled)
- Water chemical tested a few days ago, all in tact
- Temp: ~80 degrees
- Had an ich scare a few weeks back (on Ballon Belly Mollies, prior to adding Blood Parrots), treated with salt and heat
- 3 Balloon Belly Mollies, 2 Blood Parrots, 1 Ivory Mystery Snail

Hey guys, a few days ago I noticed black spots on one of my balloon belly mollies. I took some pictures and went to PetSmart and my LFS for some advice, but they didn't think it was that serious. Now the spots are still present three days later, and seem to be spreading to the fins of one of my Blood Parrots. If anyone can give me some help in diagnosing and treating this it would be extremely appreciated.

Here's an album of the spots on the Balloon Belly Molly, as well as some on the Blood Parrot (sorry the BP pics are a little blurry, but its on the tip of the bottom fin of the smaller one). Please let me know if any more info is needed, thanks a lot!

Tank Info:

- 29 Gallon (2 months old, fully cycled)

- Water chemical tested a few days ago, all in tact

- Temp: ~80 degrees

- Had an ich scare a few weeks back (on Ballon Belly Mollies, prior to adding Blood Parrots), treated with salt and heat

- 3 Balloon Belly Mollies, 2 Blood Parrots, 1 Ivory Mystery Snail

Hi welcome to AA. I honestly can't pick much on the iPhone. Do you have an ammonia reading (preferably from a liquid based test)? Black marks can indicate recovery from ammonia or chemical burn so ammonia water reading worth checking. Also if any other chemicals may have gotten into tank. Are they still eating and schooling well?

Edit - was there much ich?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom