Blackmoor - new addition struggling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LizChris

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum & think it great! About 4 weeks ago added existing goldfish (Shaft), shubunkin (Spot) & blackmoor (Boggle) to new 95 litre tank. Settled in fine. Bought a new Blackmoor on Saturday & added him to tank (20 mins floating in bag, let existing water in 20 mins then emptied contents into tank......I know, I know.....won't do that next time!). New Blackmoor (Wobble.....named so because of funny swimming style) has been laying round on bottom of tank....he'll swim when provoked or for food (fancy fish pellets) but other than that sits there! Existing fish are fine....happy as ever. On Wednesday we did 40% water change, added general tonic & tape safe, moved ornaments and plants around to prevent territory grabbing by existing fish. Existing 3 happy as can be, Wobble = depressed. He does swim very jerkily! No obvious signs of injury or disease. Water quality seems ok & plants growing. Nitrite at 0.25 - any ideas please?

It loos like he's got fin rot quite bad!

I looked at the picture -- to me, I don't see any evidence of fin rot. What I do see are clamped fins, but that's not at all surprising given the situation.

It sounds like the fish is stressed from the move.

Sometimes, no matter how well we acclimate fish, a move still stresses them -- after all, being in that bag on the trip home must be stressful in and of itself.

That the fish is swimming for food is a good sign, and if the fish is eating, even anything at all, that's an even better sign. I'd just keep an eye on it (and the other fish) and watch out for any additional changes, but I think the chances are pretty good that the fish will be just fine after given a few days to settle in.

Good luck!

Thanks - we've had him a week now & he doesn't seem to be improving. He fed fine again this morning though - it's very odd. How long do you think she will take to settle?

What is your ammonia level? A 95L tank is only about 25 US gallons which is too small for four goldies, it is recommended to have 20G for the first and 10G for each one after that. It could be a possibility that your fish isn't settling in well because of the added bioload. As far as the fin rot goes, I do not see an indication of fin rot but it would be better to see a side picture.

What are all of your exact numbers right now (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & ph)? I suspect the stress is from a water quality issue. I do not see fin rot either- just clamped fins & an unhappy fish. 4 goldies in this size tank is really 3 too many & this really should be addressed to help everyone be happy & healthy. :)

Ammonia a little high at 1.5mg/L but due a water change today anyway. Nitrate 0.25. PH is 8.5 & being adjusted back down to 7. If it's water quality issue why is other Blackmoor ok though? It's odd!

LizChris said:
Ammonia a little high at 1.5mg/L but due a water change today anyway. Nitrate 0.25. PH is 8.5 & being adjusted back down to 7. If it's water quality issue why is other Blackmoor ok though? It's odd!

Sorry that's Nitrite at 0.25. Will measure Nitrate & advise of the results.

How exactly are you 'adjusting' your ph? A ph swing from 8.5 down to 7 and then back up again is enough to sicken or kill any fish. I would not be tampering with this. Your ammonia is quite high. Your other moor has likely adapted to some degree to the poor water conditions while the new fish is experiencing shock from being added to the poor water. Everyone, however, is going to suffer health effects from the toxin levels. You should be changing the water (minimum 50%) daily to keep toxins in check until you can upgrade their home to a much larger tank. This may have to be even 2-3x daily to keep ammonia/ nitrite under .25ppm. Your tank is not cycled & likely will not cycle properly with such a heavy bioload. A bigger tank or rehoming some fish is realistically the only options here if you want your fish to be healthy. Heres the link on fish-in cycling. Please ask any questions you may have!

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

Well you'll be pleased to know he is improving! His top fin is unclamped now, he's swimming around much more, getting used to Chris & I. The regular water changes along with some ammonia remover have helped, although reading the link I think the tank is still cycling, which is a shame as we set it up a while before we got the fish to ensure a stabile environment. Anyway not quite decided whether to buy a bigger tank or put the shubunkin (Spot) & the Goldie (Shaft) in our friends pond! Thanks for advice everyone :eek:)

I am glad he is doing better! You still need a bigger tank for the 2 moors- 30-40g (120-150l) just for them with no other fish. Rehome the other 2 to your friends pond as soon as possible to avoid future problems & stunted fish. Please ask if you have any questions!

Back
Top Bottom