Blind Betta??? Please help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Summer30

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I think my betts has gone blind. :( he is 2 years old and has always eaten right away and excitedly. He has not eaten in 3 weeks. He just lays there looking dead all day. :( he doesn't eat at all. His water is warm, he doesn't appear diseased but I noticed about a month ago, his eyes looked different. They used to be almost black and a month ago, went clear kind of. I am not sure what to do. I am heartsick thinking he is starving and suffering. :(

is he in a bowl or in a proper tank? if he is in a bowl, my guess would be he is unfortunately dying of poor water/tank quality, if you post your details about the tank/bowl we can help you a lot more.

He is in a small tank. I think Its a 2 litre one. We had a betts before this one who lived to 4.5 yrs in the same tank.

Is he the only thing in the tank? How big is the tank? Are his eyes cloudy? How long has he been listless?
I am sorry about your little guy. I hope he can pull through. It does sometimes happen that older fish go blind, so there is a chance its just from his age. Hopefully its something that can be helped though.

Hi and welcome!
Is he in a bowl or tank?
Does he have a filter and heater?
What temperature is his tank?
How often do you do water changes?
Do you own a test kit? What are the readings?
Can you post a picture?
Cloudy eyes, lack of appetite and listlessness are all signs of poor water quality.
The more info you can give us the better we can help. :)

Sorry, dang autocorrect!

thats okay, happens to all of us ;)
i dont want to be a downer... but bettas should be in a proper tank with heater and filter, and weakly water changes. a 2L tank is IMO to small for a betta, they should be kept in nothing smaller then a 2.5 gallon, but 5 or 10 gals are the better. a betta living for 4.5 years is a better life span then most people get with their bettas, but kept in such a small tank would make it a not very fun/proper life for a fish. sorry if that is not what you want to hear.
do you change its water/do water changes on the tank?

Back
Top Bottom