Blind or diseased/injured Angel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caligulasAquarium

Aquarium Advice Activist
This afternoon, I noticed my black angel has a white eye. He was in perfect condition other than a tear in his dorsal fin, and had no sign of whiteness. He now seeming to have difficulty swimming straight, seems off balance slightly, as if blind. The white looks like a bubble forming inside his eye, and you can't see the natural red of that eye. I'd take a picture, but he's so panicky and won't stay still, or running into all kinds of things. Could anyone help diagnose it or at leaf help "de-blind" him?

Google eye cloud and swim blaster disease.

Iirc eye cloud is a bacterial infection.

What are your water parameters?

Google eye cloud and swim blaster disease.

Iirc eye cloud is a bacterial infection.

What are your water parameters?

It doesn't look like either, although its similar to eye cloud, but it bulges out of the eye as a bubble and only in his left eye. My params were out of whack last time I checked, so I'll check again today, after breakfast.

Would quarantine him if possible, watch to see if it gets worse.

Fully cycled tank?

Pictures would help.

Would quarantine him if possible, watch to see if it gets worse.

Fully cycled tank?

Pictures would help.

Can't qt. I can put him into an isolator box though. I hope it is fully cycled, because my params are out of whack, may have settled down. It's 55g long, only two angelfish.
The angelfish sometimes acts as if he has a seizure and swims as though drunk. He'll sometimes hide from me, but came out when I fed the two. I'll get pics later

Could be ammonia. Fish kinda like twitching when he has a "seizure"?

If your parameters are off I would try a 50% water change. Maybe that would help em.

Could be ammonia. Fish kinda like twitching when he has a "seizure"?

If your parameters are off I would try a 50% water change. Maybe that would help em.

He twitches a bit, but mostly swims randomly. I did a 50% before and the params were severely out of whack. I had 2.0 Trates and Trites, when I normally have them nth at 0.0. Ammonia, I've always had an issue with it. It never went down further than 2.0, no matter how frequent or how much of a PWC. I'll go take the pictures now.

Are you using a liquid test kit or stips to test? The strips are fairly innacurate, I would definitely invest in a liquid test kit. 2.0 ammonia is not good, nor is 2.0 nitrite. It sounds like your tank is not cycled. I would do 3-4 back to back 50% water changes, using a good water conditioner such as prime. You need to get the ammonia and nitirite levels down to below .25 . Levels that high can be pretty toxic to your fish, and may be the cause of whats going on with your angel. Best of luck......sounds like water changes will be your best friend right now :)

Also, have you tested your tap water to see if there is any ammonia or nitrites right from the tap?

Might be a silly question but made the mistake myself when I first started, and have seen other novice keepers do it too, do not get offended.

Are you washing the bio filtration media?

Might be a silly question but made the mistake myself when I first started, and have seen other novice keepers do it too, do not get offended.

Are you washing the bio filtration media?

If you are, wash it in the water you take out of the tank during a water change, that way the healthy bacteria stays.

Back
Top Bottom