Blind oscar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eddy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a blind oscar ,doest eat, he doesnt move around much,but when he dows he always bumping into things! And looks so miserable! I feel so bad! What should i do? Should i euthanize him or what?

Put him down.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What is the best way to put him down?

Clove oil, or wrap em in newspaper and whack right in the head with a hammer

Clove oil, or wrap em in newspaper and whack right in the head with a hammer

That's a kinda hard way...... Put him in a bucket and put clove oil in with the water. Then add an alcoholic substance so he doesn't wake up

Of course, I have read some conflicting information on whether the alcohol needs to be used as well and whether the clove oil is sufficient by itself. The article I posted above says you need alcohol as well, not JUST clove oil, and the article below says clove oil should be used and NOT to use alcohol.
Fish euthanasia

I hate conflicting information!

Of course, I have read some conflicting information on whether the alcohol needs to be used as well and whether the clove oil is sufficient by itself. The article I posted above says you need alcohol as well, not JUST clove oil, and the article below says clove oil should be used and NOT to use alcohol.
Fish euthanasia

I hate conflicting information!

I mean at that point with the clove oil I don't think the fish is going to feel anymore so just to be safe I would do alcohol because the last thing someone needs is supposedly a "dead fish" waking up

Yeah. I think you're right :). I may have to do this soon too and I just do not not not want to mess it up or cause my sweet fish any more suffering.

Yeah. I think you're right :). I may have to do this soon too and I just do not not not want to mess it up or cause my sweet fish any more suffering.

Yea it really does stink doing especially if you've become close to the fish.

Or you could take water that is just above freezing, put him in there, and he will go into shock and not feel a thing

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Or you could take water that is just above freezing, put him in there, and he will go into shock and not feel a thing

Works all the time. Clove oil can be a tricky thing to mix right

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

I've read mixed things on that too, that it actually is a long slow death you just don't know it because they are so cold. I dunno....

If it is cold enough the fish will die quickly, as once it's in shock it's gone

Okay, that's good to know. I really hope I don't have to do it myself but I just want to make absolutely sure I do not cause him any additional suffering and it's good to get the facts straight.

Back
Top Bottom