Blind parrotfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joeg1221

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've had my 28 gallon freshwater tank for a few years now. Two blood red parrots, two kissing gouramis, and one high fin pleco. All grown from very small fish and although the tank is probably a bit crowded, I'm on top of my water quality and do filter maintenance and water changes weekly. The fish are happy and get along quite well.
I was out of town for a few days about two months ago and when I returned, I noticed one of my parrots was terribly infected by ich or some other parasite. I removed the ammo lock from my canister filter. Medicated the tank heavily for two weeks and all signs of the problem were gone. I then did a thorough gravel cleaning and a 50% water change. Its been awhile now and the tank and fish look great. The infected parrot seems fine but apparently has permanent damage to both eyes. All swelling is gone but they look like broken egg yolks. His vision is obviously affected as he goes for bits of food. He seems to study the surface for floaters and takes a stab once in awhile but usually is way off target. I have to think he is surviving only by "Braille" and sifting through the gravel. Has anyone ever seen or experienced anything like this before. Thanks in advance. Joe

Hi Joe and welcome to AA! :)

It's a really good thing that you are on top of water quality with that stock. That is a lot of fish for that tank. What filter(s) are you running on it? Even beyond water quality, those fish need territory and safe havens that can't be adequately provided for in a tank that size and are likely stunted already. The clean water you are providing is the best thing for the blind fish for now. Keep up the water changes (or increase to 2x per week) and consider rehoming / restocking or else I think you'll have more issues coming.

Back
Top Bottom