bloat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ADFs

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought 6 Dwarf neon rainbowfish about a month ago and added them to my 11 gal tank that has been going for about 10 months. Within the first few days 2 of my fish died (i acclimatised them properly etc) they started to get bloated and their colour faded, they stayed near the surface most of the time. As it was so soon I thought they were just ill from the store

But recently another of my fish has been displaying the same symptoms. If ti is bloat I must be feeding them incorrectly - but I'm not sure how - I feed them a pinch of flake food a day and every 3-4 days I give my frogs frozen bloodworm and the fish, of course, eat some of that.

Could anyone help?

Try giving them some peas. Cook them for a few seconds in the microwave, then remove the shell leaving only the gooshy inner parts. You will probably have to squish that up for them as they have very narrow throats.
The more info you provide the more we can help, so always answer the questions in the sticky "Before posting about..." My neon rainbows have been very sensitive to water conditions. Also, what flake food do you use? There are good foods and foods that are very poor.

Their scales were not sticking out like a pinecone, were they? This will cause the fish to display those same symptoms and have a different illness.

I forgot to put I checked my water for ammonia and nitrates on a few seperate occasions last week and they were fine. The fish are still quite small - about an inch - so it is quite hard to see if their scales are sticking out but I can't notice anything.

I give them a pinch of sera GVG-mix every day and have tried to get it as close to the amount they will eat in 2 mins as possible. I was wondering if maybe they overeat on they bloodworms and it is too rich for them.

Devilishturtles said:
Their scales were not sticking out like a pinecone, were they? This will cause the fish to display those same symptoms and have a different illness.

My krib is displaying what you said.so what is it??

sonoma2nv said:
Devilishturtles said:

My krib is displaying what you said.so what is it??

It's bloat or dropsy. Do a quick search for dropsy and you'll get more info. You're pretty much stuck with a fish that will die if it is though. Sorry.

Back
Top Bottom