Bloated Abdominal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chaoz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Help!!! My fish became like this 2 weeks ago. It stopped eating and is always in the same position. Anyone around to help? Thanks! The attachment are the pics of the fish.
bloated.gif

closeupside.gif

backview.gif

huh? u mean my fish cannot be cured? the fish is not dead lor.. not photoshop edited pic... really nothing i can do?

Unfortunately unless you can find a vet who is able and willing to do major surgery (and they are out there, but few and far between; since you are in Singapore you MIGHT be able to find a Koi Vet who can do it - they are practically unknown here in the states), your fish will not survive. That is not simply a swollen abdomen; your fish has a large tumor which is obviously affecting the stomach and swim bladder. The poor thing is obviously suffering tho; if you cannot find a vetenarian willing to attempt surgery, the fish is only going to get worse.

There is a slight possibility the tumor is actually infested by some sort of parasite or is a very large infection (that small open wound makes me wonder), but if he hasn't eaten in 2 weeks, he is extremely weakend and the chances of him surviving medication is pretty limited, much less surgery. And since its near impossible to determine what the tumor IS, recommending meds will likely make the poor thing suffer even more.

Sorry chaoz; I know this is not what you want to hear, but sometimes the things we need to do for our fish are not easy.

Allivymar said:
Unfortunately unless you can find a vet who is able and willing to do major surgery .... they are practically unknown here in the states

Dr. Johnson at Koivet.com is one of those in the states. Last I look at the site, he will do surgery on fish shipped to his hospital. BTW this site has lots of info on diseases on koi/goldfish. You can also email Doc Johnson with questions.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with Alli. That fish looks too far gone to be helped.

I agree with Alli. Those pics show a tumor. Sorry.

What have you been doing for this fish for the last two weeks? Has the growth enlarged during that time? Are there other fish in that tank?

Back
Top Bottom