Bloated albino clawed frog

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pleco1415

Aquarium Advice FINatic
One of my albino clawed frogs has been really bloated for about a month now and I don't know what to treat it with. I originally posted a thread about this in the general discussion form but didn't get a lot of answers. The water quality is not the issue and the tank has been set up for a few years now so I assume the frog already had this when i got it. I just started adding salt to the aquarium about 2 weeks ago but no improvement have been noticed yet. My LFS says if I can find the antibiotic it needs they'll order it for me but I have no idea. Can anyone help me out here?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1452906771.074142.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1452906784.858325.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I'm sorry - I had a quick look but have never kept these so hard to comment. Are you getting any improvement?

I'm sorry - I had a quick look but have never kept these so hard to comment. Are you getting any improvement?

I'm confused wether I should be using the slats or not, Some people recommend it and others don't so I'm not sure if I'm doing the right thing. I haven't seen any improvement yet but I'd imagine it takes a while to have an effect. Thanks for commenting by the way, anything better than nothing

I don't really know anything about amphibians, and the only ones I can compare it to are at my in-laws. Comparatively speaking, it does look bloated though I haven't seen my in-laws frogs since xmas. Perhaps it's a female filled with eggs...?

Try posting in the amphibian section, even though that's not typically thw place to talk about illness...it would get the issue to the most likely people on the forum to know the most about them.

Good luck!

This could be dropsy/bloat, it's fairly common in African clawed frogs. There is some consensus that it may be caused by bacterial infections and can be treated with maroxy or aquarium salt, as you've done. Apparently Epsom salt baths can also help but I've never been brave enough to try it. I also have frogs and have used salts for years with no adverse effects but have never had this problem.

Back
Top Bottom