Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-18-2017, 08:45 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Bloated & Finrot?

Hi!

I'm still pretty much a newb in this forum or this hobby in general.

So, I happen to crush at my relative's place for a few days and see these guys.

I was wondering if there's anything I can do to help? These two are not mine though, but I just want to do something. I doubt their owner even buy a water conditioner. 😩
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5599.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	176.9 KB
ID:	302789   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5611.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	157.0 KB
ID:	302790  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5617.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	195.9 KB
ID:	302791  

Old 08-21-2017, 01:57 AM   #2
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Small water changes and water sample to lfs for testing.

Old 08-21-2017, 06:01 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Wow! That is horrible, I'm glad you're trying to help them! The first thing I would do is a partial water change, maybe start with 10-20% and just continue these water changes daily until you can get the water parameters in good shape (0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 5-20 nitrate) this could take a while, if you don't have much time, just do your best to keep ammonia down. If you don't have a test kit, you can take some water to a pet store and have it tested like the last replier said, if you do this make sure to ask for your actual numbers, don't just let the store tell you the water is good. As far as the fin rot and bloating goes, the fin rot would most likely clear up after a few weeks with good quality water, and the bloating can be fixed with fasting and/or a piece of a cooked pea. Ideally they should each be kept in a 5 gallon heated, filtered, cycled tank, but since that doesn't appear to be possible, clean water, and fasting for a few days should help in the short term.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:08 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

If you can get it, try frozen daphnia before cooked pea for bettas. They're carnivores and will go for it before pea and it's better for them. This is, of course, after a fast. And yes, that water needs changing. Poor things.

Tags
ate, bloat, bloated, fin, finrot, rot

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com