Bloated Betta HELP!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

datkidkevin

Aquarium Advice Activist
my betta was in a 10 gallon tank till about 30minz ago i seen he was bloated from his stomach i removed him from the tank. i read it could be constapation. what shud i do? should i wait a couple of days without feeding? feed pea? i dunno what i can do help me please

Another thing, do you feed him pellets or freeze dried foods? If you do, feed him the pea. Once he's back to normal, when you go to feed him, soak the food first few a few minutes in some tank water. Those foods can expand in the stomach and cause bloating.

Now, that's if it's constipation. Try looking at him from the top. If he looks like a pine cone, his scales sticking out, it could be dropsy.

And finally, bettas will also bloat if water conditions aren't good. Check your water parameters.

no hes not pine coney so i dont think its dropsy just bloated shud i just feed him a pea? and how often? or shud i wait a couple of days without feeding?.......he's active and looks happy just bloated

+1 for Rookie and Dragon.

Feed him the boiled, de-shelled pea, (about the size of 2 pellets) and wait at least 24 hours to feed him again. Bettas can amazingly go for 1 month without food, (don't do that lol) so one or 2 days is not going to hurt him.

No pineconing, good sign then.

Yep just go with the pea for now like dk said. And remember, if you're feeding him pellets or freeze dried foods, soak them first from here on out. That should help avoid any future bloats.

I wouldn't feed any freeze-dried. That was a recommendation I got from a lady who had kept bettas for 30+ years. I actually stopped giving all my fish freeze-dried because it seemed to bloat them all. :( But yes, soak the pellets for about 5 minutes. :)

what if he's still bloated after a couple of days shud i just keep feeding him peas? what do i do?

Back
Top Bottom