Bloated GBR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishyfanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
My female GBR is bloated. I just noticed it this morning when I turned the lights on. She has been eating normally and still has her great coloration (pink belly and all). Water perams are in order (0,0,5) and no other fish look ill. She is fed NLS for SA Cichlids. Any ideas?

NLS is good stuff, but i like to supplement my GBR and Bolivians diet with vegetables (Peas, Corn...) do you ever give them veg? just an idea..i had a tiger barb that go bloated about every 2-3 months, since i have started feeding veg he has not had a problem...

HTH

I haven't fed them vegs yet but I'll definately give it a try this evening. She is beautiful and has excellent coloration. A nice bright pink belly with bold coloration on the rest of the body. I really hate to lose her. She is sort of floating near the top of the tank. Not really getting down towards the bottom anymore.

Have you tried feeding peas to Angels and Tetras? This will be the first time I attempt it.

Update: I am getting ready to feed her the peas. When I got home she was swimming near the bottom of the tank. She's all alone, not actively participating with the rest of the fish.

Fishyfanatic said:
I haven't fed them vegs yet but I'll definately give it a try this evening. She is beautiful and has excellent coloration. A nice bright pink belly with bold coloration on the rest of the body. I really hate to lose her. She is sort of floating near the top of the tank. Not really getting down towards the bottom anymore.

Have you tried feeding peas to Angels and Tetras? This will be the first time I attempt it.
my rummy nose tetras love Veg, but my angels will not touch them, they prefer to fast on veg day :?

I just tried feeding them vegs. The angels just nipped them around the tank. They liked playing with it, not actually eating them. The Tetras grabbed them and swam around the tank nibbling. The rab just sat there at the bottom. I put a half pea in front of her and she made no effort. She just stayed in the same spot. I moved the pea closer to her and she just stayed there. The Angels were not eating the peas so I pulled out the ones they were "playing with" and put in some NLS pellets. They went nuts over those. A few pellets went by the Ram but she made no attempt to catch one.

It's not looking good is it?

FF try doing a water change. One of my GBR's was bloated and a water change seemed to help him. I also fasted the tank for day and fed zuc and peas after that.

I'll definately try that tomorrow Anne. I keep going into the living room and checking on her. :(

There's nothing I hate more than seeing a sick fish and knowing there's little to nothing you can do to help it out. Good luck on this situation. I hope she pulls through.

sorry to hear that FF. could try epsom salt in a QT to relieve the fluid buildup. i don't know the dosage, but a quick google should bring that up.

Back
Top Bottom