Bloated Platty

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Perhaps

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Good Day Everyone,

I have two bloated Platties (no pineconing), and they have been this way for quite some time, but are very active and otherwise look healthy.

They reside in a 36 Gallon Planted Community tank (filter by Aqueon Quiet Flow 30, with biomax) that has been going for 8 months with the following water parameters.

Ammonia = 0
Nitrites = 0
Nitriates = 40
PH = 7.0
Temp = 23.5

I do regular water changes of about 30%.

I feed my fish once daily, and I alternate between flakes and brine shrimp/bloodworms.

All the other fish appear to be in good health.

Are they constipated??

Thanks

Attachments

• help with platy.JPG
    help with platy.JPG
    11 KB · Views: 4,501
Looks like a very pregnant Platy to me! Do you know if you have males or females? You might try putting the bloated ones in a breeder net for a day or two to watch them.

Are you feeding anything freeze dried? If so, do you soak the food for a half hour or so before feeding?

Nothing freeze dried.

The bloated pair has bred before, there is 2 offsprings in the tank. So one is male and one is female. They were in a smaller tank when that happened.

It's definitely bloated. It could also be pregnant but there is a seperate issue causing the bloating. Are you sure it isn't from overeating?

Don`t think it`s overfeeding. I even skipped days here and there just to see if it would help. There are 2 other full grown platties in there which are looking good, no bloating. That`s why I was thinking constipation...

autopsy

Sadly, one of my platties died today. So I took that opportunity to perform an autopsy :) She was indeed pregnant! Lots of fry in there, none of them survived though :/

So I started questioning myself... is it possible for the fry to die in the mother? and her never give birth? or would she just give birth even if the fry are dead?

Back
Top Bottom