Bloated red dotted koi (one died already) please Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gmelenco

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Please help!

We have an outdoor fish pond about 60 by 80 by 15 inches in dimensions with some Koi 2 big ones and 3 small ones. I am not sure what ph, salinity etc of the water is...We feed our fish "Wardley Pond Stix Fish Food".

The fish have been there for quite a few years already. One day after the gardeners sprayed some pest repellents for the trees, the koi fish stopped swimming so much. Normally when we approached the pond they would swim to "greet" us but after day they didn't do that so we were very nervous and we changed about 8 gallons of water. After that the fish swam well again.

But then about one month later one of the big ones died. His stomach started to become bloated and we thought he was having babies but a few days later we found him floating on top of the pond, dead. That day the weather was also very hot (88 F). The other big one is also having the same symptoms and we are afraid he will also die soon.

I have attached some photos of what he looks like right now. I have googled searched and some say it could be dropsy but our koi scale is not standing up so it might not be.

Please help and suggest what we could give them to eat as a treatment. I really hope he can endure and survive.

Thank you!!

Attachments

• Koi bloated with red spots.jpg
    Koi bloated with red spots.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 46
Hi, sounds like hot weather and possibly the pond a little unstable from the pest treatment. Some meds and treatments, etc have more/less effect at different temperatures. I'd do a water change again which should also lower temperature a little. Also the water may need an aeration to keep O2 going into it.

Back
Top Bottom