Bloated Red-eye Tetra?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

udsara

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi - I have a 20 gallon freshwater tank that has been set up since January of this year. I now have 8 tetras of several types (red-eye, painted, etc.) that have all been doing very well until today.

The last fish I added was a set of painted tetras about a month ago. They all eat the standard flaked food and all of them are still eating well. However, I noticed today that one of my red-eyed tetras has a swollen, bloated belly. The scales aren't raised and the fish doesn't seem to be in any obvious distress. It's still swimming upright and with the other fish, although it does tend to be staying more towards the bottom of the tank.

I have an air bubbler and filter that I haven't changed recently, although the filter is probably due for a change in another 2-3 weeks. I change out about 1/4 of the water weekly for fresh water.

It has been suggested to me that the fish could have bloat or dropsy and that if that's the case there's nothing I can do, but I was wondering if it could be anything else, since I haven't really introduced anything new recently. If it is bloat or dropsy or some other illness, is there anything I can do to prevent my other fish from being infected?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Update

Not that anyone offered me any help anyway, but here's the latest update if anyone is interested.

I put in some stress coat and turned out the light and left everything alone last night, figuring I'd have to wait and see if anything could be done this morning. Much to my surprise, my fish was almost 100% back to normal when I woke up. Still maybe a little bit swollen, but basically it was difficult to tell the difference between him and my other red-eye tetra who has been fine the whole time. So whatever it was has apparently resolved itself, although I'll be keeping an extra close eye on him over the next week or so.

Thanks.

That is good to hear. I would guess that he was constipated. You may want to try feeding a variety of foods including veggies. A varied diet makes for healthier, happier fish.

Back
Top Bottom