Bloated tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scottw68TN

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi guys 1st post ever! 2 of my tetras (out of 5)seem extremely chubby. have been since a bacterial infection 2 months ago in the QT tank. They are healthy acting and all water perms are great. I have a 2 tigers (out of 8) that seem to be chunking up to. Any speculations? Do they get permenant damage from this sort of thing? I do not think its dropsy because it doesn't make them that big or "pine cone" them.

If they are behaving normally and are eating, and you see no unusual poop (stringy or white, or otherwise different) trailing along behind them, then they may just be porky!

Female cardinal and neon tetras get much rounder and fuller than their male counterparts...especially when they mature and start carrying eggs. I don't know if it's the same for all tetras though.

I know that to be true for white clouds and for tiger barbs, personally, so it sounds logical, especially they appear otherwise normal.

It is true that some tetras just get fat. Also I noticed my seemingly-dominant tetra (Harlequin I think) even changed color. He had a very noticeable orangish tint to him, and he was kind of bossy to the others.

Back
Top Bottom