Bloated Von Rio Tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mobiusnu

Aquarium Advice Activist
Two of my Von Rio tetras seem rather tubby these days and they're having a hard time swimming.

What would cause that?

Are they just fat, or are they showing signs of dropsy (bloated, and a "pineconing" body, meaning that the scales are not flush with the body and are rather sticking out, like a pinecone).

They could just be constipated, if they are just fat. Nuke a few peas in the microwave, peel off the skin, and feed it to them when it cools. The peas will make them poop alot, and clear em out. :wink:

The scales all look flat, so maybe they're just fat. But they're the only two fish in the tank like that. The other Von Rios are just fine.

Devilishturtles said:
They could just be constipated, if they are just fat. Nuke a few peas in the microwave, peel off the skin, and feed it to them when it cools. The peas will make them poop alot, and clear em out.

I tried that. It doesn't seem to have done much yet.

It seems like they're having trouble being neutrally buoyant. They're constantly trying to swim up at an angle to keep from falling to the bottom. (It looks sort of like how Mario swims in his games.)

My two poor tetras are still bloated. Any suggestions on what to do next?

Back
Top Bottom