Bloaty Shubunkin Koi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Miyavp

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My shubukin koi, high ho, has been swimming funny the last few days. Its stomachs super bloated and he's been swimming alot slower lately. He goes to the shallow part of the pond and floats and rests there. He's not swimming sideways or upside down though. I took him out and put him in a "hospital tank" I didnt have a tank so I took a five gallon bucket filled it with water along with some aqua safe and moved him in there. He didnt put up much of a fight like he normally does when someone tries to move him. I dont know which gender it is tho. I'm thinking its possibly eggs but I dont think its very likley as the only other koi in the pond is a comet and the rest are goldfish. We had abit of a cold front a few days ago and I'm wondering if that possibly had something to do with it. I love this fish to death and any help would be greatly apriciated.

Please anyone? I added an air filter to the "tank" so he's getting oxygen.

Have you tested your water parameters and such?. Can you post your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH readings? How big is the pond? Who else is in it and how do they look? Any photos? I am sure that someone can help you (not me because I don't know anything about goldfish of any variety!), but they will definitely need more information.

Actually, there might be a sticky at the beginning of this thread that tells you what info to post. I think I have used it before, when I first came here to ask about a sick fish.

I would definetly post all those things if i knew them. I dont have any clue how to check for those though. The ponds about 6 feet long by 2-3feet wide and about a 1-2feet deep. Its been at our house forever. Its got about 10-15 goldfish a comet and my shubunkin goldfish along with some redlegged frogs. I'll take some photos and upload them asap. The koi isnt very big. Six inches or such

Hmmm... Do you have a local pet store? Take a sample of water using a clean water bottle or a Baggie or something similar to the pet store and tell them what is happening. Often, they can test your water for free. Ask them for the exact readings though and then write them down. Often they will say things like "You have trace amounts of ammonia" or "your nitrates are ok", without actually telling you the numbers. Also, ask them to test using the drops rather than the strips, if you can. The strips are less reliable.

It is probably worth picking up some test kits (definitely worth it for tanks, but as I said, this isn't within my experience. I don't know if pond people test their water the same way!).

I dont know...my dad didnt even want to spend money on the air pump so he could have oxygen. I dont have any money right now to buy a test kit either. Honestly I dont think our pet store even checks there own fish tanks water much less someone elses.

It has been suggested to me that the person who might best be able to help is jlk. Why don't you try sending her a message? Rumor has it that she is the goldfish queen. :)

Wish I could help more!

So the kanaplex directions said to add a spoonfull per 5G and repeat every two days. Is it safe if too do that and then just change the water in two days? Cause thats what the directions said

Hi! The issue here is you have your fish in an uncycled, unfiltered home right now. The ammonia he is producing will skyrocket overnight. High toxins are going to make him more ill & prevent him from recovering. Healthy water has to be your primary concern first & foremost or all the meds in the world are not going to help. Change his water daily followed by redosing meds once a day. Good luck!! :)

So I should'nt have added the dosage for a 10g water? :( Should I change the water?

You moved him to the 10g today, right? Then he should be ok until tomorrow. You added the correct dose of meds for 10g? If so, then your fine. Water change tomorrow & repeat the same dose of meds.

Okay good :) I was worried. I cant seem to get him to eat the cooked spinach. Any ideas? He eats it and spits it out

Don't worry about it right now. He will be fine if he doesn't eat. Look into some brine shrimp for him tomorrow.

Will do. I'm not sure where to find that. Should any basic pet store carry it?

Okay I'll ask my dad if he can check for me. We dont have a big pet store where I live

Back
Top Bottom