Blood worm/daphnia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caliban07

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is it possible for bagged bloodworm or daphnia that I buy from my LFS to carry nasty parasites that harm my fish?

I want to feed more live foods but I'm worried about disease.

Feeding Live Food

Is it possible for bagged bloodworm or daphnia that I buy from my LFS to carry nasty parasites that harm my fish?

I want to feed more live foods but I'm worried about disease.

Hello Cal...

If you want to feed this type of food, then get the packaged version. It has no additives and is just as nutritious and likely safer than the stuff that isn't prepackaged by a company. Your choice, of course.

B

Thanks brad. The blood worms are for my corys and they eat them because they sink. I have the dried packaged stuff but it floats

i feed massive quantities of live daphnia every spring, and they don't have parasites. They come from my culture which has no fish, hence no fish parasites. The same is true of the bloodworms growing there. The reality is that any body of water that has a fish population is unlikely to have any meaningful amount of live daphnia, for you to collect. This applies to the commercially sold product too.

I use live bloodworm weekly and haven't had any issues with it, I always make sure not to put the water from the bag into the tank and i give the bloodworm a good rinse before adding.

53 gallon elephant nose tank
16 gallon Giant African shrimp tank

Thanks everyone. I will continue to use. I don't put the water in either but I should rinse.

Bloodworms and daphnia and brine shrimp are all okay. It's tubifex worms you gotta watch out for

Back
Top Bottom