Bloodfins sick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

koeppen

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Please help my bloodfins look like their face is melting and some have already died. I have had no problems before this and all my fish were healthy.

We need some more info.

Whats the tank size?
What stock?
What are the water parameters?
How often and how much do you change the water?
Any new fish recently?
What are the exact symptoms before they die?
Can you post some pictures?
Any weird fuzz or growths on the fish?

Tank size is 56 gallons ammonia is 0, nitrite is 0, and nitrate is 10, ph is 6.8. I do a 30%water change weekly. I had 2 gbr 1 now, 14 rasboras, and had 9 bloodfin but only 4 now. It looks like a white fuzz that is on their face, but only on the bloodfins. It seems to eat their face away then they die. Other then that there are no other symptoms.

Ok sounds like its a bacterial infection. Probably columnaris. It can move very quickly and kill off whole tanks if not treated. First you need to decrease the tanks temperature down to 72-74f and do a large water change. Then you need to track down some antibiotics that treat gram negative bacteria.

Here is an article on Columnaris.
http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/Columnaris.html

If any fish are showing any symptoms now I would remove them and euthanize to help stop the spread. Make sure you don't cross contaminate between tanks (if you have more than one) with equipment.

Thanks for getting me that link... here are some pictures of what is happening.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130315_180507.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130315_180507.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 54
  • ForumRunner_20130315_180524.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130315_180524.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 49
  • ForumRunner_20130315_180542.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130315_180542.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 44
  • ForumRunner_20130315_180559.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130315_180559.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 47
From my run in with it and from what I can see it does look like a bacterial infection of some sort. Columnaris being my first guess. Are you able to to get any antibiotics?

Unfortunately my LFS is out of antibiotics and I wont be able to get it till Monday-Tuesday... what would be the best course of action to take till then?

Turn the temp down and add some salt. One tablespoon per 5 gallons of water. Don't add it all at once. Pre dissolve a whole dose in a container of tank water and add 1/4 of the water every few hours. Keep up the water changes and remove any fish as soon as you see any symptoms.

Back
Top Bottom